MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er Klasse 1914?

Article about: Hello, Is this a correct S&L one or a reproduction trying to be one? Does appear to be buntmetal or zinc. Thanks for your help!

?

Default 1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er Klasse 1914?

Hello,
    Is this a correct S&L one or a reproduction trying to be one? Does appear to be buntmetal or zinc.
    Thanks for your help!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er Klasse 1914?   1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er Klasse 1914?  

1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er Klasse 1914?   1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er Klasse 1914?  

Last edited by rbminis; 11-15-2015 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er Klasse 1914?
    P
    Many

Hi Anzel,

Looks like a genuine unmarked zinc type 'B' EK 1 spange.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Anzel,

Looks like a genuine unmarked zinc type 'B' EK 1 spange.

Regards, Ned.
    Thanks Ned! Is it by S&L or unknown?
    Best,
    Anzel

As I said, it's an unmarked (L/16) Steinhauer & Luck (S&L) type 'B' zincer. That means "known"....
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Got it Ralph...
    Ned, just saw the type B part....thanks again!

There were two different dies (possibly three but not proven) used by S&L for these spanges. The main difference being in the pebbling around the swastika within the wreath, the fletching or "veins" on the eagles wings, and the general detail seen in both versions. So far all unmarked zincers by this maker have been type 'B', which is considered inferior quality wise due to the lack of overall detail compared to type 'A' examples.

Regards, Ned.

?

Default S&L

So does this mean that a Type A is buntmetal? This is the first I have heard the term A & B. I am missing the buntmetal S&L spange from my collection. JIm

Quote by CMSgt View Post
    So does this mean that a Type A is buntmetal? This is the first I have heard the term A & B. I am missing the buntmetal S&L spange from my collection. JIm
    As far as I know the buntmetall spanges by S&L can be found marked L/16 and unmarked, and are all type A. They are considered rare. Here's an example of the obverse side, you can see differences between it and the type B. That's as far as I go with these as I'm still limited on what I know regarding them.

1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er Klasse 1914?1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er Klasse 1914?

Regards, Ned.

?

Thanks for the info Ned. Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast