Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er Klasse 1914 regulation question

Article about: I recently obtained a 1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er Klasse 1914 . My question is was it ever worn above a 1939 Eisernen Kreuzes or only above the WWI EK1? I'll post pictures later Tha

Default 1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er Klasse 1914 regulation question W/ pictures

1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er Klasse 1914 regulation question1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er Klasse 1914 regulation question1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er Klasse 1914 regulation question

As far as I can tell it is marked L19

I recently obtained a 1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er Klasse 1914 . My question is was it ever worn above a 1939 Eisernen Kreuzes or only above the WWI EK1?

I also did a Google image search and could not find any examples of this being displayed with a 1939 EK1

Opinions welcome
    Thank you

Burt
    Last edited by milmuseum; 03-22-2016 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Pictures added

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er Klasse 1914 regulation question
    P
    Many

I believe it was only worn above the 1939 Eisernen Kreuzes as it was not instituted until 1939 and it signified that the wearer had earned the EK I during WW I as well.
    Of course, there will always be exceptions.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Pictures added

Hello Burt,
    Unfortunately, there was no maker for the LDO number L/19. I believe this is a copy.
    There is a very good EK I spange data base here.
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/datab...panges-571670/
    It does not contain all of the makers but certainly the majority. I have also checked another data base and did not find a match for this one. Please wait for other opinions though.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Ralph,
    After looking more closely it looks like it may be L11 Dummer? But the area around the shoulders (rear view) looks different than any of the others in that data base. The detail in the front is excellent but the eagles head looks different than any of the others also. Hmmm. If more pictures are needed please let me know.

Thanks
    Burt

I think I found it

Spange to the EK1 - real or replica

Appears to be an 80's French FLOCH fake possibly L21. I'll wait for another opinion but it sure looks like the one in the link. The seller guaranteed my money back if it is not good, I have dealt with him before so it won't be a problem to return it.

Hello Burt,
    I am pretty sure it is not a Floch.
    There is only one unknown maker that I am aware of that the shoulders do not both come back in towards the head. Here is my example, although with a spurious mark that was likely added post war.
    1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er Klasse 1914, Unknown maker I
    If you compare the shape of the head from the reverse, you will see that they are not the same.
    Ralph.

Ralph,
    That one is very similar but mine has spines in the wing detail and another thing I noticed is that the tail of the 9 is not flared like all the good examples. The pin looks like it may have been replaced or repaired at some time also. I guess I'll wait till I hear from some of the other members before passing judgment on this one.

Thanks
    Burt

Quote by rbminis View Post
    There is only one unknown maker that I am aware of that the shoulders do not both come back in towards the head.
    Just so you know, this is a very important feature.
    Ralph.

?

It is a floch fake and FYI the list of spange makers is complete. The spange is never worn above a 1939 EKI only above the 1914 EKI as the spange respresents the award of the 1939 EKI because the awardee was already awarded an EKI in 1914. Jim