Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Authentication: Wachtler & Lange Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse

Article about: Hi all, to make a long story short: Over in the Heer Buckles section I just found out that a Heer Buckle I had purchased was a well known fake. I’ve also bought a iron cross 1st class from t

Default Authentication: Wachtler & Lange Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse

Hi all,

to make a long story short: Over in the Heer Buckles section I just found out that a Heer Buckle I had purchased was a well known fake. I’ve also bought a Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse from the same seller and for obvious reasons I now want to make sure that at least the cross is indeed real. Up until the story with the buckle, the seller was to me known as trustworthy.

The cross was advertised as a genuine Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse, 3 piece iron core construction. From what I can tell; it’s indeed a 3 piece construction and the core is magnetic.

The seller didn’t mention any maker or say anything about it being marked, I have however identified it to probably be a Wachtler & Lange cross, based on the pin, hinge and lock/hook. Right?

Upon close inspection I also think i can make out a very faint ”100” stamped on the reverse of the pin (hard to see in the picture), which would support it being a Wachtler & Lange.

The cross measures rougly 44 x 44 mm, with some minor variations (less than 1mm).

So what do you guys think - Does it seem legit?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Authentication: Wachtler & Lange Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse   Authentication: Wachtler & Lange Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse  

Authentication: Wachtler & Lange Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse   Authentication: Wachtler & Lange Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse  

Last edited by TheJackal83; 10-03-2018 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Authentication: Wachtler & Lange Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse
    P
    Many

It looks alright to my eyes. But then I only have one example to compare this one to, and it's an unmarked one by a different maker.

Some E.K.I's were assembled postwar from original parts, so they'd 'look' right, but wouldn't be wartime. I wouldn't be able to tell if that was the case, and am certainly not in a position to authenticate it as an original. I can only say that nothing about it raises any red flags at first glance.

B.B.

Please read this thread regarding the title of your thread.
    The Use of German Terminology.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

From what I see, it looks okay to me. The hardware is correct for this maker and the front appears to be correct to me as well.
    I am not sure if they were marked on the underside of the pin or not, maybe wait for another member that may know.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

raz
    ?

Here is mine to compare .The swaz sits really high , actually seems higher than the frame if this helps . The maker mark is under the pin . RazAuthentication: Wachtler & Lange Eisernes Kreuz 1. KlasseAuthentication: Wachtler & Lange Eisernes Kreuz 1. KlasseAuthentication: Wachtler & Lange Eisernes Kreuz 1. KlasseAuthentication: Wachtler & Lange Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Please read this thread regarding the title of your thread.
    The Use of German Terminology.
    Ralph.
    Sorry about that! I did read it after posting - should have done it before, I know... Tried to change the title but wasn't able to, so I updated the terms in the post itself instead. Will take better care to get it right next time.

Quote by raz View Post
    Here is mine to compare .The swaz sits really high , actually seems higher than the frame if this helps . The maker mark is under the pin . Raz
    My swastika seems to be raised fairly high as well. The maker mark looks similar too; the difference being that mine is a lot more faded / hard to make out.

Thank you all for your inputs, I'm going to go ahead and assume the cross is real since everything seems be correct about it.