Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Controversial, but I like it

Article about: Hello All... You may have noticed that I was selling a lot of items recently, and here's the reason.... Yes, I know it's a very controversial area, but I really liked the look of this one. I

?

Default Re: Controversial, but I like it

Yes, as I understand it from various threads here, some RKs were assembled after the war complete with swastikas.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Controversial, but I like it
    P
    Many

?

No problem asking the question Lars!

They assembled/made them post war for exactly the same reasons as they make them today - the collectors market. Souvenir hungry troops occupying Germany, these companies still had to make some money so a few of them, notably Souval, continued to make awards to statisfy the demand. S&L had leftover stock from before May '45 and the facilities to continue producing their wares.

The German based manufacturers soon had to stop when the swastika became banned. Souval, being Austrian continued as the law didn't affect him as he wasn't based in Germany.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hello Lars,
    You are correct to ask, that is how we all learn.

As far as I am aware, S&L continued to produce RK's with a swastika core after May 1945, using up leftover stock and later using new non-magnetic zinc cores for both the souvenir market and as replacement pieces for real recipients who, for many reasons, no longer were in possession of their original awarded cross.

Anyone please correct me if I am wrong on this.

Regards - Danny

?

Very interesting info

So they are still made today, or are we talking fakes now Adrian?

?

It's hard to know where to draw the line Lars and it's down to the individual to decide for him/herself what is acceptable.

If a cross was made after May 1945 from pieces made before May 1945 does it mean it's a fake?
    If a cross was made from a mix of parts made before and after May 1945, is that a fake?
    If an RK was made after May 1945 from original materials and tools by the correct manufacturer, would that mean it's a fake?

I, personally would have no problem owning an RK made after May 1945 from pieces made before that date.

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    It's hard to know where to draw the line Lars and it's down to the individual to decide for him/herself what is acceptable.

If a cross was made after May 1945 from pieces made before May 1945 does it mean it's a fake?
    If a cross was made from a mix of parts made before and after May 1945, is that a fake?
    If an RK was made after May 1945 from original materials and tools by the correct manufacturer, would that mean it's a fake?

I, personally would have no problem owning an RK made after May 1945 from pieces made before that date.
    I just meant that when you said "still make them today", you talked about "real" fakes or maybe they are still made with real dies and material? I don't know. I would not consider any of the above fakes. Sorry if you misunderstood my question. Fakes in my book, is something made from wrong materials and made intentionally to cheat people.

Regards, Lars

?

Anything made today is a fake, no question IMO.

The grey area is the period just after the end of hostilities.

?

"does that mean they still made them with swastikas post war? If so why."
    Yes. Money.
    Pete

?

Quote by wood View Post
    "does that mean they still made them with swastikas post war? If so why."
    Yes. Money.
    Pete
    As stated ... they made them for collectors and occupying forces still in Germany... many soldiers wanted souvenirs.

?

Beautiful cross !! In the rather short time I have been collecting, I have been lucky enough to handle as many as "10 real RK's"... (and some fake ones)
    I personally own a non magnetic unmarked S&L and I love it ... I can tell you without question it feels as good in your hands as a wartime cross... IMO even if it's not a wartime RK it's still a beauty with the same high quality as you would expect.
    CONGRATS!!!

ps .. you should consider sending your cross to Dietrich for examination. Also would you please post some closeup pics?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Controversial, but I like it  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast