Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Crazy EK2 price!

Article about: So I like EK2's OK? Nothing wrong with that is there? So I keep tabs on prices for EK's both from dealers and online auctions (as you do) and I'm seeing this rusty EK2 with a claim of Stalin

Default Crazy EK2 price!

So I like EK2's OK? Nothing wrong with that is there? So I keep tabs on prices for EK's both from dealers and online auctions (as you do) and I'm seeing this rusty EK2 with a claim of Stalingrad origin and I think "yeah, i'll see where this goes and maybe throw $50 at it if I can". ( I picked up another Stalingrad EK2 last week for $51)

Then some people start upping the bidding and pretty soon it's gone past $50, then past $75 then past $100 so I keep an eye on it just for fun. Now she's a crusty old unit as you'd expect...

Crazy EK2 price!

So what would you pay for her? Like I say $50 would be about the price, maybe $75 if you believe the Stalingrad story and are prepared to pay a premium for that.

Now bearing in mind that mint MM'd EK2's with ribbon can be had for around $150 would you be prepared to pay...
    $319!!

What drugs are these people on?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Crazy EK2 price!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Crazy EK2 price!

it is the story thar sells not the cross in this case, stupid for shure, and one more thing i do not thing it is a field dug it looks to me like a hydrocloric acid aging atemp

Interesting! On what basis do you suspect an acid ageing? It looks like plain old rust to me.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Interesting! On what basis do you suspect an acid ageing? It looks like plain old rust to me.
    take a close look on the patina on the outher cross and also on the more red like rust to the core it self this is the look of hard acid as the iron core popsup and start spreading over the edges, in one or mor trys you get this efect but the last acid use stays longer time red as it is new rust

another ebay treasure? it really ticks me off when you have a decent bid on something, then some guy with 5 wins puts about 10 bids in a row, then the price gets really crazy, usually I give up after they start that crap, but I have to agree with Klinger, something just doesn't look right on this one, plus as rusty as the middle is the hook on top would be gone. but I'm no expert.

I'll try to find some threads on examples of artificially aged medals as this would be a good skill to have in the arsenal.

For example this is the other EK2 I bought last week for $51 as a ground dug Stalingrad relic and for sure it's rust looks different.

Crazy EK2 price!

I just figured that things might rust differntly depending on the soil conditions, like if the area is more moist or something like that.

The seller of the $319 EK is based out of Moscow which I guess doesn't preclude him from buying cheap copies and ageing them for a fat profit. Even if it is original that sort of cash is just crazy!

I agree 319.00 is crazy, some really good drugs out there I guess. yours has a more even patina.

Quote by crazy horse View Post
    as rusty as the middle is the hook on top would be gone. but I'm no expert.
    Thats a good point, the frame is made of 'German Silver' but the carrying ring should be plain old iron same as the suspension ring and theoretically should have corroded at the same rate as the core?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Thats a good point, the frame is made of 'German Silver' but the carrying ring should be plain old iron same as the suspension ring and theoretically should have corroded at the same rate as the core?
    well really what KLINGER said made me take a second look at it, then I saw that, but also the outer patina was too shiney compared to yours, which has an even patina all over. well take care 2:30 am gotta crash.
    regards Marty

?

Yeh defo that the rust on the first one is "new" comparing it to your ground dug one, there is no doubt. The other rust still seems moist and still oxidising. More than likely by the time the bloke got it in the mail it would be dust! Cosidering I saw near perfet EK's at the fair the other day for AU200. Almost looks as though he was targeting the areas that would rust ignoring the fact that the outside needs a patina too! He has more than likely destroyed a slightlty damaged, yet collectable, Ek, and with the Satlingard story, well there is a sucked born every minute!
    Last edited by Adrian; 11-22-2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Inappropriate language!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast