Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eichenlaub zum Ritterkreuz des Eisernes Kreuz

Article about: I'm looking thru Knights cross of the Iron cross .. and I dont see oakleaves marked 800 L/12 in the book ... But I see many around .. then I read some controversy... What's the word gentleme

?

Default Eichenlaub zum Ritterkreuz des Eisernes Kreuz

I'm looking thru Knights cross of the Iron cross .. and I dont see oakleaves marked 800 L/12 in the book ... But I see many around .. then I read some controversy...
    What's the word gentlemen??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eichenlaub zum Ritterkreuz des Eisernes Kreuz
    P
    Many

Default Re: Eichenlaub zum Ritterkreuz des Eisernes Kreuz

Not my area of collecting at all but a good friend of mine recommended that this was the one RK not to touch.

I believe that these may have been made in the 1980's and were released into the market by persons' unknown, who just might have been writing books on the subject at the time.

Very astute question though!

?

The reason I ask is .. I placed a downpayment on a Knights cross awhile back.. S&L 935/4 I was told is was a wartime cross... I then found out many people consider them postwar.. So I backed out for this reason.. no harm no foul... my deposit was returned... my Ultimate goal is to get a Knights cross with oakleaves... taking the advice of many advanced collectors on this site I purchased the book "Knights cross of the Iron cross" in this book there is no mention of 800 L/12 ... I read a few different opinions on this but would like to hear the opinions of people here.

?

This is what Gordon Williamson says about them in his book 'The Iron Cross of 1939':

"Examples of the Oakleaves and Oakleaves with Swords clasps exist bearing other LDO codes such as 'L/12', 'L/13' etc and which appear genuine and original to the period. These, as evidenced by their featuring an LDO number could only have been commercially made pieces for retail sale or for museum or shop window displays and cannot be considered formal award pieces."

A set of Godet marked Oaks would be your safest bet for an original piece but be aware of the the following as Williamson goes on to say:

"It should be noted that the Godet dies did survive the war and were used in the early 1970s to restrike Oakleaves and Oakleaves with Swords to go with the 1957 de-nazified Knights Cross as well as for sale to collectors. Made from the original dies and carrying the correct '900' silver and makers marks, these sold at $20 for the Oakleaves and $40 for the Oakleaves with Swords and are all but indistinguishable from original issues. This perhaps goes some way to explaining why such a rare award turns up for sale so frequently."

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Quote by Lowboy View Post
    I'm looking thru Knights cross of the Iron cross .. and I dont see oakleaves marked 800 L/12 in the book ... But I see many around .. then I read some controversy...
    What's the word gentlemen??
    Which book are you refering too ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

The Knights Cross of the Iron Cross ...
    Dietrich Maerz
    They are not listed from what I read.

?

Quote by Lowboy View Post
    The Knights Cross of the Iron Cross ...
    Dietrich Maerz
    They are not listed from what I read.
    Dietrichs book is the most up to date and in depth study of the subject , these have been discussed at great length on other forums !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

In one of the recent issues of his magazine ("International Medal Collector"), Dietrich describes and shows an original set of 'L/12' Oakleaves.

Also, you should know that Dietrich has also publicly confirmed that both the 935-4 and 800-4 Knights Crosses from S&L (both "B" types) were found at Schloss Klessheim and are original wartime pieces.

?

I was aware of 900 L/12 ... in his book there is no reference to 800 L/12..

As for the 935-4 can you give more info?

The magazine issue is Vol. 1, Number 4 (Winter, 2010) and shows a set of L/12 - 900 Oakleaves belonging to Adolf Dickfeld of JG52. No L/12 -800 is mentioned.

In his book, Dietrich already described the 935-4 Type "B" cross as wartime and having been found at Schloss Klessheim with the other awards taken there from the PKZ for safekeeping near the end of the war. (There have been several Klessheim finds of the 935-4.) More recently, 800-4's have been confirmed from Klessheim as well and last year the site Oakleaf Militaria (German Medals & Badges) sold an 800-4, with Dietrich's COA, as Item
    1012SO1. Both of these types of crosses have been found from U.S. combat vets, although no specific awardee has yet been identified and named.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast