Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernen Kreuze First Class Real or Fake?

Article about: OK Gents, I decided to get my feet wet. Being in a part of Texas heavily settled by immigrating Germans, I have the fortune and the curse of being surrounded by local antique shops that regu

?

Default Eisernen Kreuze First Class Real or Fake?

OK Gents,

I decided to get my feet wet. Being in a part of Texas heavily settled by immigrating Germans, I have the fortune and the curse of being surrounded by local antique shops that regularly have displays full of German Militaria WW1 and WW2. On a visit to one such place I decided to try my hand at identifying and purchasing an EK1. Armed with fresh knowledge from this forum and some literature, a magnifying glass and a magnet the shop owner graciously allowed me to set to work on the dozen or so Iron Cross's he had for sale. Their were some pretty identifiable fakes in the lot (Non magnetic cores, one piece design (I know this isn't always a death sentence), bad fonts) However I believe/hope I found the Diamond in the rough so to speak. If not I am only out $90 and can learn from my mistake.

So what I have below is what I believe to be a well worn EK1. It has a magnetic core and is 3 piece. It is maker marked L/13 and has begun to delaminate on the top. After studying the core I also believe its been repainted or touched up at some point (definitely by someone with a fine hand as there is very little paint on the edges). I can also see small traces of rust under the paint. The clasp has also be repaired.

Have I chosen wisely? Or poorly?

I await y'all s review and thanks in advance for taking the time

Eisernen Kreuze First Class Real or Fake?Eisernen Kreuze First Class Real or Fake?
    Eisernen Kreuze First Class Real or Fake?
    Last edited by Slade; 08-14-2014 at 05:25 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernen Kreuze First Class Real or Fake?
    P
    Many

It may be a hard used EK but, I am not too keen on the fact that all of the beading seems to lack detail.
    Wait for some of our resident EK gurus chime in.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I would walk away. Clearly repaired with an oversized catch and yes it appears to have a painted core. Dont waste your money.

Compare it to my Meybauer

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images Eisernen Kreuze First Class Real or Fake?  Eisernen Kreuze First Class Real or Fake? 
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Meybauer with repairs?
    cheers, Glenn

?

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    I would walk away. Clearly repaired with an oversized catch and yes it appears to have a painted core. Dont waste your money.

Compare it to my Meybauer

Nick
    Nick, forgive my ignorance but isnt $90 pretty good for an EK1 in rough shape? Nice examples regularly sell around $250 right? Your example is beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

Indeed a decent price...looks like an old repair...
    cheers, Glenn

I think it a good price repaired or not,you done ok.

?

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Indeed a decent price...looks like an old repair...
    cheers, Glenn
    Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    I think it a good price repaired or not,you done ok.
    Thank you Glenn and Harry! Your insight is very much appreciated! Looks like I skirted by on this one by the skin of my teeth