Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse

Article about: Hi The inside corners are lift up.Why? Is this normal.Thanks for answers. Regards,Bojan Annoyed from this ads?   ATTACH=CONFIG]781344[/ATTACH]

Default Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse

Hi

The inside corners of the EK1 are lift up.Why? Is this normal.Thanks for answers.

Regards,Bojan

ATTACH=CONFIG]781344[/ATTACH]
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04085.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	781344  
    Last edited by rbminis; 12-26-2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Hi Bojan,

This quite common although if it is severe it can spoil an otherwise good EK. Fortunately yours is not so bad as to make the cross a "basket case".

It happens because most EKI and EKII are made of three pieces and the two halves of the frame or frame and back plate are soldered together. Over time, as with plumbing joints, the joint can become what plumbers and electronics engineers call "dry" which usually means it has become insecure. When this happens the two frame parts and the core being of different metals will expand or contract at different rates with hot and cold temperature changes. This can result in the separation you refer to. The only way to fix this would be to have the cross re-soldered which is probably not practical as the work would likely cost as much as the cross itself and may make it look "restored". So, unless in the case of an unusually valuable cross you have to live with it.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards

Mark

As there is no solder on the inner corners of an EK, I would guess that this one has been "vaulted" which causes the inner corners to lift. Here is a miniature three piece example with the same issue.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	781353  
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

its a good one.

Quote by rbminis View Post
    As there is no solder on the inner corners of an EK, I would guess that this one has been "vaulted" which causes the inner corners to lift. Here is a miniature three piece example with the same issue.
    Ralph.
    Yes Ralph,
    You are quite right about the solder but what influenced my reply was the gap visible at the inner concave corner of the nine and twelve o-clock arms of the cross (seen mid picture as the cross is pictured from the left oblique at the twelve o-clock position) which is in the area that is soldered. I think a split in this area would cause a corresponding lift at the opposite convex corner. Plus, I can't see the gap that Bojan has marked in red. I think your suggestion is a good one although this cross looks pretty flat in this pic. Either way it is still not an unusual feature of an EKI and more informative pictures would make it more clear.

Regards

Mark

More pictures of EK1 corners.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04093.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	781546Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04094.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	781548

Mark and Ralph-thanks for answers.

Best regards,Bojan

Here is what a EK 1 looks from the inside, if it's of any help :-)
    This is imperial, but they are build the same way !
    Mfg
    Marc

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2876820209.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	783270
    Wir kapitulieren niemals !