Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Eisernes Kreuz ID; Which Class?

Article about: You of course have a Eisernes Kreuz - II. Klasse (Iron Cross, 2nd Class) - the other two are in sequence: Kriegsverdienstkreuz mit Schwertern - II. Klasse (War Merit Cross with Swords, 2nd C

?

Default Eisernes Kreuz ID; Which Class?

Hi: I have recently found several medals in a box my father had stuffed away in a junk pile in his basement...He was a WWII combat veteran, and I remember him showing me these many years ago...I am a complete novice at this, but I do know that one of the medals is the Iron Cross...Is there a way to determine the class of the medal (1st, 2nd, 3rd)? I would post a picture but my daughter has taken my digital camera to a Christmas party with my grandsons(?)...If needed, I can post a picture tomorrow sometime...Thanks a lot for your advice...

Steve in Kansas
    Last edited by Adrian; 12-25-2011 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: Iron Cross ID; Which Class?

2nd class is on a ribbon (or at least has a suspension loop). 1st class has a pin on the reverse to attach it to clothing. Stewy

?

Quote by Stewy S View Post
    2nd class is on a ribbon (or at least has a suspension loop). 1st class has a pin on the reverse to attach it to clothing. Stewy
    Yes, this one has a loop for a ribbon...I really appreciate your response! Thanks so much...

Steve in Kansas, USA

?

Steve, welcome to the forum and thank you for posting. Obviously a photo would be the best thing so when you get your camera back please post a pic.
    As Stewy says, the second class is suspended from a ribbon, a first class will have either a pin on the reverse or a screwback device. A Ritterkreuz (Knights Cross) is also suspended from a ribbon but in a different way to a second class.
    Try a search in this forum for EK2, EK1 Eisernes Kreuz, Ritterkreuz and you will turn up many threads with photos.
    Merry Christmas!

Hi Steve, welcome!

We look forward to seeing a picture of all the medals in the box if possible

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

I will post a picture tomorrow after the Christmas festivities die down...I have made a bit of progress in learning about these medals...I have discovered, even with my old eyes, a number "55" on the ribbon ring...So, thanks to a list I found here, I know it was manufactured by J.E. Hammer & Söhne Geringswalde...

Now I am going to ask what is probably a heretical question: Is it better to leave the medal in it's current condition (some of the silver on the edges is worn off and there is a small bare spot on the back in the black) or are there folks who "recondition" these medals...I am not looking to preserve the value or try to make the medal something it is not...I remember seeing it for the first time many years ago and I know it was in much better condition...I'm surprised it is in the shape it is in! It appears that my dad may have tried to "clean" it and worn off some of the finish...I would like to return it to it's original condition simply for display with the other medals...
    Thanks again for helping me on the way to learning about my small (3) medal collection!

Steve

KSH
    ?

Quote by LTCSZ View Post
    I will post a picture tomorrow after the Christmas festivities die down...I have made a bit of progress in learning about these medals...I have discovered, even with my old eyes, a number "55" on the ribbon ring...So, thanks to a list I found here, I know it was manufactured by J.E. Hammer & Söhne Geringswalde...

Now I am going to ask what is probably a heretical question: Is it better to leave the medal in it's current condition (some of the silver on the edges is worn off and there is a small bare spot on the back in the black) or are there folks who "recondition" these medals...I am not looking to preserve the value or try to make the medal something it is not...I remember seeing it for the first time many years ago and I know it was in much better condition...I'm surprised it is in the shape it is in! It appears that my dad may have tried to "clean" it and worn off some of the finish...I would like to return it to it's original condition simply for display with the other medals...
    Thanks again for helping me on the way to learning about my small (3) medal collection!

Steve
    This is of course your own choice, but I would never ever polish/clean off the beautiful patina that has been building up over the years. For me that would be like "washing away" history.

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth S-H.

?

Steve, leave it as it is for the time being. Post a photo of it when you're able to so the guys here can take a look. It is much better to leave it and not try and recondition it as the value will drop considerably. Collector want to see untouched medals, not re-painted. You will never get it to look right if you do try and improve it. The condition is part of the history, don't change it.
    If it might benefit from a light dust off and wash to remove any surface grime but we won't know until we see it. Keeping it in a stable and non humid environment is obviously the way to go to prevent any deterioration.
    Post the pics and you'll get the best advice!

Nope,neither would i. Leave it with the patina intact. Stewy
    By the way i've got an unmarked "55". They're nice EK's!

?

Hello Again: I found an old digital camera from ages ago...Actually it did pretty good...(Why do we let manufacturers tell us we need to upgrade every year?)...Anyway, here are two pictures of the Iron Cross and the two other medals I found...Hope this helps anyone figure out just what I have! Thanks again...

SteveClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IC-Back.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	282744Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IC-Front.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	282745Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Medal-1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	282746Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Medal-2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	282747

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast