Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

EK1 Iron core question

Article about: OK, so i'm putting together a Stalingrad display of various ground dug relics and slowly collecting the items I will use. I found on an auction site and last night won this EK1. It was prett

Default EK1 Iron core question

OK, so i'm putting together a Stalingrad display of various ground dug relics and slowly collecting the items I will use. I found on an auction site and last night won this EK1.

It was pretty cheap and will fit the bill nicely as part of my display... IF it is original.

From my rather limited experience with these awards I know they are a 3 part construction with an iron core but my question is this...is the iron core a single stamping? I mean was the swastika and/or the date a seperate piece?

I ask this because if you look at the picture below you'll see that the swastika is missing and there is a recess visible in its place. The seller stated that the period markings had rusted away which would be impossible if the swastika is part of a single stamping of the core, certainly there shouldn't be a swastika shaped recess left behind.

EK1 Iron core question

So what do you think? Is this a rusty original or a rusty copy?

For what its worth here is the reverse...

EK1 Iron core question

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Glenn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement EK1 Iron core question
    P
    Many

Default Re: EK1 Iron core question

It is a rusty original, a VERY rusty original.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Thanks for that! So a little bit of vaseline or neutral boot polish and she'll be good as gold hey?

So the swastika was actually a separate press fit piece?

Glenn

Hi Glenn, no the core was a complete stamping as far as I know.
    Tom

Yes , a complete stamping as Tom says. The only reason the swastika could be missing is if it was de-nazified by the owner

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thanks for the comment guys!

Actually if I rub my eyes and look again, what I thought was a recess (the uppermost arm of the swastika) is actually raised and the remainder of the area (lighter brown rusty colour area) is where the swastika has been removed and/or rusted away.

I think I'll hold judgement until I have it my hot little hands.

I should have it in a week or so.

Glenn

?

I've seen EKs before where the swastika has rusted away leaving a swastika shaped hole. My theory is that when the obverse half of the core was stamped, the material may be thinner over the swastika than on the flat areas where the iron has stretched and therefore rusted out sooner.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

An interesting and very plausable theory, thanks!

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I've seen EKs before where the swastika has rusted away leaving a swastika shaped hole. My theory is that when the obverse half of the core was stamped, the material may be thinner over the swastika than on the flat areas where the iron has stretched and therefore rusted out sooner.
    I Agree! Check mine out.

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EK1 Iron core question   EK1 Iron core question  

?

Thanks for posting Andy, exactly what I was trying to explain.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....