MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

EK1 & Spange - Impressions from Forum members

Article about: G'day gang :-) I've come across an WW1 EK1 with the WW2 spange physically attached; the rear face is a typical clamshell type setup, with a hook for the spange (no maker marks from what I ca

Default EK1 & Spange - Impressions from Forum members

G'day gang :-)
    I've come across an WW1 EK1 with the WW2 spange physically attached; the rear face is a typical clamshell type setup, with a hook for the spange (no maker marks from what I can determine). I've never had the opportunity to grab an EK1 with spange, and just wondered if this item is in a pretty common configuration? I'm thinking that a WW1 EK1 with a WW2 spange would be pretty uncommon. I'd assume that the whole unit would've been produced by during WW2.

I have a spange in my own collection, but it's for attachment to the ribbon of an EK2.

Any thoughts, warmly received.

Jimbo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EK1 & Spange - Impressions from Forum members   EK1 & Spange - Impressions from Forum members  

EK1 & Spange - Impressions from Forum members  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement EK1 & Spange - Impressions from Forum members
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: EK1 & Spange - Impressions from Forum members

hi jimbo , only the other day i came across an WW1 EK11 in it`s issueing packet that was issued with a 1939 spange . printed on the packet was eisernes kreuz 2 klass 1914 mit spange 1939 , and it was stated on the site that they had never come across it before . however they weren`t joined as yours is . perhaps these spangs were awarded to WW1 vets that were holders of the Ek`s from 1914/18 and then re enlisted for 39 /45 . maybe your example was privately done by the owner at a jewellers ! Perhaps some of the other lad`s know more !

cheers al

?

These certainly existed as originals as you say made during WWII as a private purchase option. I've seen these with a pin but never previously as a screw back, the one you show looks very nice and would be unusual / unlikely to fake, but i'm no expert relative to others on this forum.

Hi guys - many thanks for the feedback - it's a great looking piece and the box is very attractive too; date-stamped 1939 with the Reichs Adler and Swastika. I just haven't seen an EK1, albeit a WW1 1939 re-issue from what I can tell, in this configuration wit the spange. My thoughts are with yours Al, I get the impression this would've been issued to a WW1 vet EK1 holder, who re-enlisted during WW2.

Cheers,
    Jimbo

tinmantis
    ?

sorry guys, that's a fake
    there are some real ones, but 99.9999999999% are reproduction, and they are easy to fake
    regards
    jon