MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

EK2 buttonhole ribbon

Article about: I apologise if this is a simple question but I can’t seem to find the answer when searching the forum. Can anyone tell me if the EK2 ribbon worn through the 2nd buttonhole was the actual rib

?

Default EK2 buttonhole ribbon

I apologise if this is a simple question but I can’t seem to find the answer when searching the forum.

Can anyone tell me if the EK2 ribbon worn through the 2nd buttonhole was the actual ribbon which was presented with the medal? I recently bought this ribbon and noticed it had stitching to both ends which suggests to me it was taken from a tunic. This led me to wondering whether the ribbon worn through the buttonhole was the actual medal ribbon or additional ribbon could be purchased for this purpose.

Also, was there a standard way of securing the buttonhole ribbon or was it dependent on the needlework skills of the recipient?

Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EK2 buttonhole ribbon  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement EK2 buttonhole ribbon
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: EK2 buttonhole ribbon

The ribbon through the button hole was invariably the one which came with the awarded medal. Obviously the full length wasn't used, just enough for the purpose of attaching to the tunic. The remainder of the ribbon may have been used for the same purpose on another tunic or used if the recipient had their EK2 court mounted. It was down to the individual to attach the ribbon to his tunic or maybe his wife or Mother.

Spare ribbons could be purchased at the individuals expense and they sometimes came in a blue paper packet similar to the EK2 award packet.

Stitching to both ends of the ribbon could mean it was taken from a tunic or it could be as simple as someone had sewn the two ends of the ribbon together for some reason at some point during the last 70 years.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Default Re: EK2 buttonhole ribbon

Thanks for the reply Adrian, very informative.