Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

EK2 Juncker

Article about: Guys, do you think the suspension ring is replaced ? Thanks Nick

Default EK2 Juncker

Guys, do you think the suspension ring is replaced ?

Thanks

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EK2 Juncker   EK2 Juncker  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement EK2 Juncker
    P
    Many

Default Re: EK2 Juncker

Hi

It does look like it has been replaced in my opinion.

Nice Juncker by the way!

Thanks

Cameron

?

I don't think it has Nick. It's the same shape, size, profile as my Juncker crosses and I believe it's original to the cross, just made from a different material than we're used to seeing or maybe it didn't have any finish on it in the first place.
    Last edited by Adrian; 10-28-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Typo.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I don't think it has Nick. It's the same shape, size, profile as my Juncker crosses and I believe it's original to the cross, just made from a difference material than we're used to seeing or maybe it didn't have any finish on it in the first place.
    Hi

Just had a closer look on some Juncker EK2s on WAF and Adrian is correct.

Thanks

Cameron

Thank you both.

Adrian, I wasn't sure but you have confirmed

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Lovely brass small ring is one of the characteristic signs of Juncker EK2 39 for me. I would never buy one without brass jumpring. Many times you can see brass components also on Juncker/AWS EK1 1914s - mainly in hardware, and often the core of Juncker EK39s is made from brass as well.
    Miro

Sorry for the newbie question, would this of been left brass or would it of been plated to match the frame?

?

I think it was originally plated to match the frame. I didn´t read it somewhere, just have one EK2 Juncker in my database (all credits to WAF member streptile) and it shows signs of silver wash residuum.

EK2 Juncker

Both crosses are stunning, I can't help but wonder why brass was used because surely it would of been critical to the war effort in other items like ammo, I wonder why they didn't just use some type of steel or something.

?

There were only a few makers that used brass. So, the brass usage of one maker comparing to the brass usage of the german war effort is like fart in the wind. Literally, you´d need only a couple of used 88 mm shells to cover your yearly EK production.
    But besides of it, the usage of brass components by Juncker began far sooner than in 1939. Since the beginning of 20th century (surely since 1908), Juncker company had tight cooperation with another medal maker - AWS - who widely used brass components. In 1932, AWS mysteriously went out of business and it is believed that Juncker bought all the AWS leftover stock (frames, rings, cores, etc). So it is possible, that in 1939 when ww2 began, Juncker already had full room of brass jumprings to support his production for all the war long.