Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a genuine EK1 ?

Article about: I was in Warrington this morning to pick up my new glasses. But acting on impulse, I decided to go to the market first and have a look on the science fiction stall where I purchased some rid

Default Is this a genuine EK1 ?

I was in Warrington this morning to pick up my new glasses. But acting on impulse, I decided to go to the market first and have a look on the science fiction stall where I purchased some ridiculously cheap WW1 medals the other week. Amongst the Darth Vader masks and related weird stuff I spotted a couple of medals. Mounted on a bright-red card cut like a star burst was an WW2 EK 1. I'm really not sure what actually caught my eye first, but it could have been the price of £9.99p. I don't collect TR stuff as a rule, but I never turn down a bargain - they always come in handy when trading with dealers. I had a quick look at it through my old glasses, and I reasoned that even as a repro it had to be worth more than a tenner. I had a better look when I got home. It is of three piece construction, and the centre core is magnetic. The metal certainly appears to be tarnished silver.There are no marks that I can see. But the question is... Is it a copy, or have I just purchased a real bargain?

Is this a genuine EK1 ?Is this a genuine EK1 ?Is this a genuine EK1 ?Is this a genuine EK1 ?Is this a genuine EK1 ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this a genuine EK1 ?
    P
    Many

Nope, post war Souval.

Regards

IMO not postwar but copy ,sorry

I concur

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Eisernes Kreuz 2 View Post
    IMO not postwar but copy ,sorry
    It's Souval's attempt at making a "Schinkel B", the hardware is a typical post war S&L/Souval product.

Here's a photo of a 57er S&L cross with the same hardware:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a genuine EK1 ?  

still, ok for a tenner.

So would I be correct in thinking that a post war Souval isn't in the same category as an ordinary copy? I know that a while back - Nicholas Morigi was selling copies of the EK1. He was charging around £50 for them, but they weren't as good as this - and that is why I wasn't bothered about spending a tenner on it. I only know the basics of what to look for - soldered seams, iron core, pins that won't easily bend. I prefer guns to medals - I've not met anyone faking a Maxim mg08 yet!