Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Guide to collecting Iron Cross 1939

Article about: The WW2 Iron Cross, has a Swastika on the centre core and marked 1939, the most copied is the Knights Cross of the Iron Cross, with fakes from of a very inferior quality, one piece construct

Default Re: Guide to collecting Iron Cross 1939

Hi

"The WW2 Iron Cross had an Iron Core, except for some German Navy awarded Iron Crosses with the core changed to a Brass Core simply to prevent the salt in the air rusting the core, awarded mainly to U-Boot crews."

A common misconception. There is no real proof that this was the case, I think Adrian made a thread about it once?

Cameron

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Guide to collecting Iron Cross 1939
    P
    Many

?

Quote by BonzaiCam View Post
    Hi

"The WW2 Iron Cross had an Iron Core, except for some German Navy awarded Iron Crosses with the core changed to a Brass Core simply to prevent the salt in the air rusting the core, awarded mainly to U-Boot crews."

A common misconception. There is no real proof that this was the case, I think Adrian made a thread about it once?

Cameron
    Yes I did, well remembered!

A pair of crosses with direct Kriegsmarine vet provenance were posted, both were magnetic.

There is no substance to the claims non magnetic EKs were reserved for or specifically awarded to Kriegsmarine or Luftwaffe personnel. This is an urban myth that probably started from a sales pitch.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Yes all said and done for there will always be people out there who will try and pull the wool over peoples eyes to make a buck. A person form my own experience in the early 2000 and still at it today was Sydner's Militaria.
    Morris

?

i never knew KM iron corss has non magnetic core until this thread, now i finally know the truth of such never exist. thanks for all the info guys, really glad to be here~
    Last edited by Emmett; 10-03-2012 at 02:37 PM.

I do not mean any offense to the member who posted this thread, but I would not like anyone to rely on this information, as seems to have happened with the above member Emmett.
    This is a forum to educate and inform, and this false information is doing the opposite.

It has been dis-proved that brass core EKs were issued to the KM, and WW2 EK2's had a die stamped steel core.

Regards - Danny

It is not my intention to step on any moderators toes, but perhaps the best thing to do is delete this tread before more readers become confused, as has already happened.

Quote by helmetone View Post
    My intention is not to step on any moderators toes, but perhaps the best thing to do is delete this tread before more readers become confused, as has already happened.
    I agree

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

As soon as the Moderator gets home later and has a chance to sit down and respond to the wrong information in the opening post he will.

Until then there is no reason to delete the thread or close it as everyone else has the opportunity to address any misinformation put out there.

This is a discussion forum and any points right or wrong can be discussed. It's what the forum is here for. You never know, by correcting any false information, someone else may learn from it - as has been mentioned by Emmett. He didn't realise the non magnetic/Kriegsmarine myth wasn't true until he read this thread.
    Someone has learnt something and from that point of view the thread has been a success. If warRelic hadn't made his post this wouldn't have happened.

I would normally agree Adrian but the thread opener post is very odd

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

It is a little strange but as far as I know done with the best of intentions. I don't close or delete threads if they show a fake item. The item is pointed out, discussed and we learn from it.
    This is no different in that respect, it's just done with words rather than pictures.

Therefore we, as a community and who are lucky enough to possess slightly more knowledge, are obliged to correct any wrong or misleading statements for the education of others. Just as we would point out if someone posted a fake medal or badge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast