MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Guide to collecting Iron Cross 1939

Article about: The WW2 Iron Cross, has a Swastika on the centre core and marked 1939, the most copied is the Knights Cross of the Iron Cross, with fakes from of a very inferior quality, one piece construct

Default Re: Guide to collecting Iron Cross 1939

Quote by Adrian View Post
    It is a little strange but as far as I know done with the best of intentions. I don't close or delete threads if they show a fake item. The item is pointed out, discussed and we learn from it.
    This is no different in that respect, it's just done with words rather than pictures.

Therefore we, as a community and who are lucky enough to possess slightly more knowledge, are obliged to correct any wrong or misleading statements for the education of others. Just as we would point out if someone posted a fake medal or badge.

Point taken

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Guide to collecting Iron Cross 1939
    P
    Many

?

Quote by warRelic View Post
    The WW2 Iron Cross, has a Swastika on the centre core and marked 1939, the most copied is the Knights Cross of the Iron Cross, with fakes from of a very inferior quality, one piece construction, to the near perfect Knights Cross copy made of a 3x piece construction with silver frames made in Budapest Hungary today, copies are also made in Russia and Poland.

Only about 65% of all WW2 Iron Crosses had a LDO Number stamped either on the suspension ring or in the case of the Knights Cross on the frame, these numbers were given to each maker to keep track of quality control, the other 35% had their LDO Number, either on the Outer Brown Carton of the Presentation Box or on the Paper Bag that the Iron Crosses came in.

The WW2 Iron Cross had an Iron Core, except for some German Navy awarded Iron Crosses with the core changed to a Brass Core simply to prevent the salt in the air rusting the core, awarded mainly to U-Boot crews.

I hope this helps you with collecting. Cheers !
    Ok, let me try and and pick up on a few of the statements above.

The Eisernes Kreuz has been faked in all it's classes but the Ritterkreuz which commands such a high price is obviously the most high profile. Saying that, the EK2, EK1 and Spangen are all worth money and more fakes of these probably get sold than the RK.
    The fakes are made the world over from the U.K. to the U.S. to Europe, Eastern Europe, the Far East, in fact anywhere where someone has a mind to make them.

The LDO numbered crosses are rarer that unmarked and also the PKZ marked crosses so the figure of 65% is very wrong. I don't know the exact percentage but I would guess maybe 5% were LDO marked, 20% PKZ marked and 75% were unmarked. If my figures are way off, please feel free to correct them.

Not all EKs had an iron core. They were made from many different materials from brass to zinc. Some cores may have a base metal of one sort but were coated with a thin layer of copper to help the paint adhere better. As has already been mentioned, non magnetic cores were not exclusive to Kriegsmarine personnel!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thanks for so many replies, but this description will help a novice with collecting the iron cross 1939.

It is a basic guide line

Ofcouse i will follow the forum and its members, with all their knowledge.

?

It is not a good guide line. Read the forum and study the threads. Keep away from the ebay guides.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

One can't ever have too much reference materials. The more ammo the better so we don't get ripped off. Thanks for the post.

Thanks for the much needed clarification Adrian, sorting out
    the good info from the 'not-so-good' info.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Hello warRelic
    A novice is far better off receiving good, factual information right from the start rather than information
    laden with mistakes & only finding out later on when they discover that they have a collection full of fakes.
    Information like that is no help at all.

Regards
    Brett

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3