Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How Did You Start Collecting EKs

Article about: I also have a nice one coming from Danny! Cheers |<

Default How Did You Start Collecting EKs

Hi

I was just wondering how some of the members of this forum started collecting EKs.

I started after seeing some of the amazing collections of EKs of this forum!

Thanks

Cameron

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How Did You Start Collecting EKs
    P
    Many

Default Re: How Did You Start Collecting EKs

Seeing Adrian and Dannys amazing collections, and listening to their passion and enthusiasm for the subject inspired me to go from half a dozen EK's to this !!
    Attached Images Attached Images How Did You Start Collecting EKs 
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

I started several years ago now. I had spent alot of time collecting anything and everything (inculding a few fakes along the way) and had no focus to my collection.
    I decided I couldn't keep going as I was so I thought about what it was about my collection I liked the most and decided that EK2s were the direction I wanted to go in. I thought about how I should collect them and decided to try and get an example from every maker plus any others I really liked, on non standard ribbons etc. Also, they are relatively cheap so a decent collection could be had for a smaller outlay than if I had decided to collect pilots badges!
    I started collecting EKs by maker and quickly built up a good collection and eventually I had one from each PKZ maker. Then I went for the round 3s, Schinkels, Ubergrosse etc and the LDO marked crosses. I've nearly finished, the crosses I need to complete are the rare and expensive ones but that was to be expected.
    As the EKs slowed up I though about what else I like so started on Mutterkreuz and Minesweepers, photos of the EK2 being worn.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

EK's were always a thing of beauty, but I had never seen one in person. Then one day I went to a gun show and saw a few. I thought it would be cool to be able to say I had a German Iron Cross, so I picked out the best looking one the dealer had. Well, what's better than one Iron Cross??? You guessed it. Two Iron Crosses!! So I got a second one off of Craigslist (along with a War Merit Cross) I had two 2nd Class crosses, so logically, I needed a First Class Cross. Got that at another gun show for a bargain price, with the case. Then I stumbled onto a 2nd Class award document. Finally, I needed a marked 65 second class with packet to go with my marked 65 first class. Found that here on the forum in the classifieds. That's been the most recent addition. I narrowly missed out on a Knights Cross in February! Oh well, always on the hunt for more. And, as Adrian mentioned, they are relatively cheap compared to paratrooper badges or steel helmets (which didnt stop me from picking up a few lids along the way, oops lol) Here is a pic of my small EK collection:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How Did You Start Collecting EKs  

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Seeing Adrian and Dannys amazing collections, and listening to their passion and enthusiasm for the subject inspired me to go from half a dozen EK's to this !!
    I'm always curious as to how people amass collections such as yours. How do you typically buy your crosses; shows, online forum classifieds, dealers?

?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    I'm always curious as to how people amass collections such as yours. How do you typically buy your crosses; shows, online forum classifieds, dealers?
    From dealers, classifieds and through private deals. I am fortunate to know a couple of guys who would look out for crosses for me and if they got the chance of buying them on my behalf would do so and send them on to me.

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Most of my crosses came from the Estand on WAF. I have also bought from a small choice of dealers such as Klaus B, Military Antiques of Stockholm, Espenlaub, Great Militaria and Militaria Sales

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

For as long as I can remember, I have been fascinated by the iron cross.

Aesthetically, I believe them to be the most striking military decoration there is. I cannot remember the first time I paid heed to them, but recall endless drawings of them on schoolbooks and making my own cardboard versions complete with aluminium foil and black paint.... even nearly lost a finger once cutting one out of a tin can with a stanley knife!!

Sometime around 1983, I found a repro one in a military surplus shop and there was no way I was leaving without it! it cost me £5 and I loved it.

I never knew that the real thing was even available in those pre-internet days, (the west of Ireland didn't, and still doesn't, have many of them floating about) but jump forward to my discovering ebay and then the forums .... and WOW!! look at all those EKs!

One 1914 KO marked EK2 later and I'm looking for a 1939 to keep it company..... and so it goes.

Much like Adrian, when I first discovered that this stuff was available, I grabbed everything I could find. However, I too realised that I needed to focus, and with EK2's being my main interest, that was the way to go.

After a few years collecting I had managed to complete the full marked PKZ list, and a pile of Imperials along with quite a few of the rarer variations and a scattering of cased EK1's for good measure.

I have since sold most of these, but have held onto my favourites and some of the really hard to find ones. Admittedly, I find I have lost focus again, but my purchases are a lot less frequent these days, so I just collect bits and pieces that make me happy (although all of these bits and pieces are EK related).

Once you have been bitten by the EK bug, I don't think it ever goes away.

Regards - Danny

?

It's funny, my first EK was a repro, I bought it at the Bath and West Show when I was still at school. I used it as a keyring for years and still have it somewhere!

My final PKZ marked cross came from Danny!

I don't shear that passion to collect all makers of one or a other item.
    I feel like it is a must to "a" EK in a militaria collection, but that is just it, there are much other items I fancy more!
    Sorry! ;-)
    I am glad with the 3 or 4 EK's I have!
    I do have a weak spot; the convex EK I's!
    And I am very happy with my denazified RK, as I am aware that it is the closes I'll ever get to own one.
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast