Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

iron cross 2nd class

Article about: hi i have here a iron cross 2nd class and i wanted to know who the maker might be. there is a number but i cant make it out, but i do know it has 3 numbers marked on the ring it and i also w

?

Default iron cross 2nd class

hi
    i have here a iron cross 2nd class and i wanted to know who the maker might be. there is a number but i cant make it out, but i do know it has 3 numbers marked on the ring it and i also wanted to know if its original or fake it looks fine to me but i want to make sure.
    thanks
    regards callum
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture iron cross 2nd class   iron cross 2nd class  

iron cross 2nd class   iron cross 2nd class  

iron cross 2nd class  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement iron cross 2nd class
    P
    Many

Default Re: iron cross 2nd class

Well, I'm somewhat of newbie, but it looks like it could maybe be a Souval cross? It looks "rounded" to me, but that could just be the angle?

?

Callum, can you post a clear shot of the makers mark please?
    It looks remarkably like a Souval but getting up close, it is very unlike a Souval in particular details.
    Many of the features used to identify a wartime EK from this maker are missing or very poorly executed so at this stage my feelings are that it's a fake cross trying to be a Souval.
    I have no idea about the box but it doesn't look like an original.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

hi here some more pics god.. tonights been a bad night. i somehow dropped my ironcross 2nd class and now the iron core is a little loose . i hope its not a bloody fake i paid 300 for it . i had a look with 2 magnifine glasses and i made out what the number is its 107 carl wild if you ask me it cant be a fake it has an iron core its 3 piece construction and the ribbon is original i did the uv light test on it the white didnt glow but anyway here are the photos.
    regards callum
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture iron cross 2nd class   iron cross 2nd class  

It has the distinctive Souval inner corners

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

It has many of the features associated with Souval yet none of the features found on a Souval. With more time to look at this cross, the more I am inclined to call it a fake known as the Stuttgart fake, so called because these crosses first surfaced in quantity at Stuttgart a year or two ago.
    There are several features that identify this fake.
    It looks like a Souval but isn't. The 'birds foot' outer corners found on Souval crosses are poorly executed and are not at all like period Souval EKs.
    The sloping tops on the '3' digits.
    The different thickness of the '1's on the reverse date.
    The rounded inner corners, again, trying to be a Souval yet not quite getting there.
    The makers mark. No original wartime produced EK2 by Carl Wild has been found to date. This type of cross has been found with more than one makers mark, '107' being just one of them.
    I have attached a photo of a wartime Souval EK2 from my collection and also one with Callum's cross superimposed over half of it. Compare the features on the frames, especially the quality of the outer corners.
    My advice would be to seek a refund.

iron cross 2nd class  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi Callum,
    I'm afraid I have to agree with Adrian, this is another of the 'Stuttgart fakes'.
    They're showing up a lot lately.
    I hope you can get a refund...
    (IMO, AU$300 is a very high price, even for a genuine EK2)

Regards - Danny

Bad luck Callum I got stung with one of those buggers and I keep it in my collection as a lesson learned !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Keep your head up callum. That is what we are all here for. To learn from our mistakes and know what to look forward on the road ahead of collecting. Please don't get discouraged just know to use your resources a bit more before opening your billfold. Believe me, I know!

?

Quote by Danny70 View Post
    I hope you can get a refund...
    (IMO, AU$300 is a very high price, even for a genuine EK2)

Regards - Danny
    well i spoke to him and theres no refunds.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast