Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Iron Cross real?

Article about: I am thinking about buying this iron cross. So far I only have the pics as shown here. Can anybody tell me whether this cross is authentic?

Default Iron Cross real?

I am thinking about buying this iron cross. So far I only have the pics as shown here. Can anybody tell me whether this cross is authentic?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iron Cross real?   Iron Cross real?  

Iron Cross real?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Iron Cross real?
    P
    Many

Zable
    ?

Default Re: Iron Cross real?

Hi,

Hard to really tell from those pics. Short ribbon, may be a 'round 3' variation. Hard to figure if there is a ring stamp on there too.

Check here for more: Iron Cross 2nd Class

Z

?

is a seam around the edge, is centre iron?

give best picture.

Endgame 1945
    ?

Check the sides for mold lines. If it was mass produced by a company or person then it would have been in a mold then cast. when it was cast then mold lines would appear on the sides from the casting process.

Hi Endgame, what you say is not really correct mate. The EK2 was usually constructed out of 3 separate pieces. Two frame halves and an iron core. The core was then sandwiched between the two outer frames. That is what causes the seam line and not casting. Although there were single piece crosses made, they were not common and were normally found amongst the EK1's. How these were made, I am not completely sure. Hope this helps.
    Tom

Endgame 1945
    ?

Stug III, what you said is correct. There were three parts that were sandwiched together leaving a SEAM line, again corect. However, if you reread the terminology on my post you will see I used the term MOLD line which is different. If your medal is real then yes, like you said, there is a seam line. a seam line is reccessed. If your medal is fake, and I'm not saying it is, then there will be a mold line. a mold line is raised because as Molten Metal was poured into the mold excess metal seeped out the cracks.

I hope this helps you!