Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My first Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse and a question

Article about: Hi I've just bought my first EK2 and as i want to preserve it as best i can i have some questions for the more experienced collecters than i. My question is as follows; What should i do abou

Default My first Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse and a question

Hi

I've just bought my first EK2 and as i want to preserve it as best i can i have some questions for the more experienced collecters than i. My question is as follows; What should i do about the little bit of rust on the cross? Should i just let it be since it's such a small amount or should i do something about it, and if so, what methods should i use?

Thanks in advance

Best regards.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse and a question   My first Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse and a question  

My first Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse and a question   My first Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse and a question  

My first Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse and a question   My first Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse and a question  

Last edited by rbminis; 04-11-2018 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse and a question
    P
    Many

I've got an EKII with a bit of rust on the core as well. The only thing you can really do is store and display it carefully. As long as you don't expose it to extremes of heat and cold, it won't get any worse. The same goes with anything made of metal, really. As long as it's not left in a basement or attic, it should be fine.

B.B.

Agreed. You should leave it as it is and just store it properly.

Best regards,
    Franko

I store mine in plastic medal wallets with one of those little silica gel packets that you get when you buy electrical equipment. The gel absorbs any moisture to keep it from getting any more rusty.

?

I pretty much do the same with my EKII's. I keep them in the non reactive medal wallets in a aluminium case with silica gel packs around the edges. My first Imperial EKII has some rust on it as do a few others in my collection and the rust has not got any worse in 7 years. The only cleaning I've ever done is a gentle brush with a VERY SOFT tooth brush being careful not to dislodge any flaking paint that might be there. As others have said before me, just keep them at a stable temp free from extreme temperature changes and they should be fine.
    Wilko

Ah okay, i'll just leave it as it is and perhaps get some silica gel. Thanks for all the answers.

Congratulations on your first Cross! I'm going to say that this will probably not be your last. They are addictive and heed my warning as to making room in your display case for more.

If I may add, as long as there isn't any more moisture introduced your cross will be fine.

Regards,

Joel

Please read this thread.
    The Use of German Terminology.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Please read this thread.
    The Use of German Terminology.
    Ralph.

Of course, i was mistaken. i thought that shortening it was OK.

Quote by buellmeister View Post
    Congratulations on your first Cross! I'm going to say that this will probably not be your last. They are addictive and heed my warning as to making room in your display case for more.

If I may add, as long as there isn't any more moisture introduced your cross will be fine.

Regards,

Joel

Thank you. I will keep your warning in mind, as i'm already on the look out for another cross, haha.
    Great thanks for the addition, i certainly am not planning on getting the cross wet. I have it stored in a little zip-lock bag.

Best regards