Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Named and Combat worn EK I

Article about: Hi Guys, here we have a well used named EK I. The hook has an old repair to it. Taken off a German PoW. Named to "Schnider" No doubts the experts (not me ) will know the maker? Che

Default Named and Combat worn EK I

Hi Guys, here we have a well used named EK I. The hook has an old repair to it. Taken off a German PoW.

Named to "Schnider"

No doubts the experts (not me ) will know the maker?

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Named and Combat worn EK I   Named and Combat worn EK I  

Named and Combat worn EK I  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Named and Combat worn EK I
    P
    Many

?

I find named militaria very interesting. Maybe because it shows me there once was someone owning it writing their name on it. It places a human together with the item.

Hi Ade,

A nice salty EKI with a "been there" look to it which is great if you know the provenance as you seem to.

I am not the best at ID of these but for me I reckon this is an unmarked cross by Rudolf Waechtler & Lange of Mittweida (L/55 when marked) which exhibits the known recognition features of this type and that the repaired catch is the original flat wire type found on these.

Two questions; is the core magnetic and more importantly Is it yours?

I have a matching ISA (Infantry Assault BAdge) and silver VWA (wound badge) with the soldiers name scratched into the back just like this which I think, probably done in the field to protect ownership, adds a lot to the piece unlike engraving which would almost certainly be done at home and for different reasons. As TrondK says, it adds a personal connection to the man on the ground.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-06-2016 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Typo

I looked again and maybe the catch is a little wide to be the original, not that this detracts very much from the appeal of the cross.
    Anyone else have thoughts on the catch?

Mark