Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The Odd EK2.

Article about: This is one of the mysteries of the EK2 collecting world. An unusual EK2 with a very ugly date. These are thought to be original, wartime produced crosses by several very respected collector

?

Default The Odd EK2.

This is one of the mysteries of the EK2 collecting world. An unusual EK2 with a very ugly date. These are thought to be original, wartime produced crosses by several very respected collectors (and I have no reason to doubt them) in the community but that's as far as it goes.
    No maker has been identified to the cross and it seems to be a one off and rare type. Rarer even than the Schinkels, Round three and Ubergrosse crosses. No first class examples have come to light, the characteristics of the cross are very unique, the date, the shape, the beading are all very different.
    I was recently able to obtain a second example for research, this one still has the frosting remaining on the beading. I know Fabri has a similar example and hopefully he will post his here too.
    The cores are both magnetic and the suspension ring is only attached to the front side. The swastika is very shallow too.
    So, has anyone else got an example? Did it come with a packet? From a vet or the family of a vet? Has anyone got any thoughts, ideas or suggestions as to a maker?
    Here are a few pictures of the cross(es) in question. The final photo is next to a Steinhauer & Luck for comparison.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Odd EK2.   The Odd EK2.  

The Odd EK2.   The Odd EK2.  

The Odd EK2.  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Odd EK2.
    P
    Many

Default Re: The Odd EK2.

Adrian, this is very interesting, please can you post close ups of the said date

Cheers

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Certainly Nick, here you go......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Odd EK2.   The Odd EK2.  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Interesting and strange cross as just sayd in another place.
    My cross comes cased, case is marked L/54 but unfortunately I think that someone put them together.. there no parts that really matches with a good L/54...
    The one difference with your , Adrian , is that the suspension ring is attached to the back side.
    My cross have another strange thing, it has just the frosted front side.. is it a mistake ?
    Sincerly at the moment I have no idea about the manufacturer.. aff.. this cross has nothing in common with another known EKII , or peraphs with a Schinkel B..

HUD
    ?

Very interesting subject Adrian, Fabri
    This is one of the unsolved mistery of the EKs collecting.
    I got mine a couple of months ago together with a nice Schinkel, one piece cross.
    Here you have a couple of pics.
    Best,
    Stefano

?

Thanks for pointing me to this thread Adrian Here's my new example. I bought this one from a freind at a fleemarket in Frankfurt. He gets his stuff from vets families and basically anyone who tells him they have something etc. etc. So theres no telling where he got this one from and since he's not a collector or dealer, probably doesn't remember or care. And I dare not tell him I got a rare one here since we have a very cheap flat rate for all EK2s I buy from him lol The jump ring is soldered to the front. Here she is. The Odd EK2.The Odd EK2.

Congrats Lee on finding that fascinating cross

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Congrats Lee on finding that fascinating cross
    Thanks Nick I told you I was going to return to the dark side

I like them!

Regards

?

Great thread, I will make a picture of my example.