Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One more fake 1st class Iron Cross?!

Article about: a very nice EK1 and a steal at \\$100 as has already been stated Al

Default One more fake 1st class Iron Cross?!

Hi
    I doubt this one is fake but not sure.please give me your advise thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture One more fake 1st class Iron Cross?!   One more fake 1st class Iron Cross?!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement One more fake 1st class Iron Cross?!
    P
    Many

Default Re: One more fake 1st class Iron Cross?!

Hi Kevin,

Perhaps we could hear why you think it may be a good example?

Steve
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hi Steve
    Nice to meet you again.In my opinion,there are some suspicious points
    1.the "W" is not in the right center place,
    2.the font of "1914" is too "straight to be real
    3.the angle of the 4 frame's points are not as sharp as the others

Quote by kevin710 View Post
    Hi Steve
    Nice to meet you again.In my opinion,there are some suspicious points
    1.the "W" is not in the right center place,
    2.the font of "1914" is too "straight to be real
    3.the angle of the 4 frame's points are not as sharp as the others
    Kevin,

In my opinion, I see nothing that would indicate that this is a fake cross. To address your concerns, the off center "W" can commonly be found on many period originals. Remember that the iron core "floats in between the two frames, and if the tolerances are not exact, you will get this effect.

The date is fine, I am not sure what you mean by "too straight" but if you are comparing that in relation to the 'W' it is OK. If you look to the right of the 'W' and the date, you will see they have both proportionally shifted.

You can find many crosses like this, sometimes, they can be found with all of the corners much more rounded than this example. The piece may be a product of Meybauer as they used this coke bottle shaped pin almost exclusively on their awards. Look for a small crest in the center of the back of the cross.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hi Steve
    I am really glad to have such a great mentor like you here to wise the simple like me.Thanks again for your warm help.

pjm
    ?

This looks fine to me. It also appears to have an 800 silver mark (shown in the photo at the bottom to the left of the point of the pin).

The shift of the black centerpiece is typical as noted.

The sharpness of the points of the cross itself is also interesting. It may have been originally produced that way or filed by the jeweler or owner to keep the cross from cutting into the uniform cloth .

Hi PJM
    I didn't realize the marker is "800" in this blur picture,Thanks a lot for pointing out this important clue.
    BTW Does this one worth US$100? it comes with a bag like the one in the picture.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture One more fake 1st class Iron Cross?!  

pjm
    ?

Absolutely worth $100 and then some - double that or so, on a good day. I found one just now online for $250 with an unappealing thick black finish and 800 marked pin.

The bag would appear to be unrelated.

Quote by kevin710 View Post
    Hi Steve
    I am really glad to have such a great mentor like you here to wise the simple like me.Thanks again for your warm help.
    Kevin,

You are very welcome, knowledge comes to everyone eventually if they apply themselves and read everything on the subject. We all start somewhere, I just never wanted to stay where I started for too long.

Sorry, I forgot to point out the '800' mark. For $100.00, you can't go wrong. The bag however, doesn't appear to be period. Normally, these were purchased in a small square box that was either plain or embossed with a cross. There were also small fancy versions of stalhelms and pickelhaubs to hold the award.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by pjm View Post
    The sharpness of the points of the cross itself is also interesting. It may have been originally produced that way or filed by the jeweler or owner to keep the cross from cutting into the uniform cloth .
    I think you are correct. In analyzing period shots of German aviators, I have seen rounded corners on many crosses - especially on vaulted examples (especially screw-back) where the corners make constant contact with the tunic.

I think it is very plausible as some of these crisp corners can be quite sharp. I certainly don't think it adds anything aesthetically, but it would serve a practical purpose, so the presumption is one with merit in my opinion.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast