Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Real or fake Ritterkreuz mit Eichenlaub und Schwertern?

Article about: I just bought this iron cross. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it's a fake after reading some things here on this forum. But if there's some hope of it not being a fake then I would definitely

?

Default Real or fake Ritterkreuz mit Eichenlaub und Schwertern?

I just bought this iron cross. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it's a fake after reading some things here on this forum. But if there's some hope of it not being a fake then I would definitely want to know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1853.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	213.7 KB 
ID:	422365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1858.jpg 
Views:	969 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	422366

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by Adrian; 11-11-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: Real or fake iron cross?

FAKE Knights Cross of the Iron Cross with Oaks/Swords.....looks to be a one piece construction, any way, details are far to soft, the Oaks & Swords are far to chunky and are not in the slightest vaulted/convex as originals are........also it is not Imperial but pretending to be of the TR period......this thread needs to be moved to Adrians forum, for better discussion. Which I have done...over to you Adrian.
    Prost ! Steve.
    "The German Army is the perfectly adapted, perfectly running Machine. The difference is that the Germans are organised with a view to War...with the cold, hard, practical and business-like purpose of winning victories."
    G.W. Steevens - The Daily Mail (1897)

?

Thanks for the quick reply. I had my doubts a bit after I bought it. It's just that I bought it in an antique store in the old part of Skopje which had many other medals and WW2 items. I'll go back to the store and hopefully return it, but I doubt they'd let me.

i go with steve

I'm in no way an expert but my answer is it simply looks too new, I agree one piece constuction as theirs no solder lines aswell. Don't worry bud I've just found out my British 1914 star is fake, heartbreaking but once you've got a real example you'll forget all about this experience. Good luck next time matey.

?

Hi Steve and thank you for moving the thread here.

hp542,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting. Unfortunately as has already been said, your Ritterkreuz (Knights Cross) is a fake and quite a bad one at that.

There are several original pieces posted here on the forum, try a search for 'Ritterkreuz' and you'll find them easily to compare.

Genuine examples of these pieces fetch many thousands of /$/ - possibly up to 20K.

?

Default Re: Real or fake Ritterkreuz mit Eichenlaub und Schwertern?

Thanks David, good to know I'm not the only one making mistakes It's a bad start to collecting WW2 memorabilia but at least I know now what to look for and to be more careful.

?

Quote by hp542 View Post
    Thanks David, good to know I'm not the only one making mistakes It's a bad start to collecting WW2 memorabilia but at least I know now what to look for and to be more careful.
    Which area of collecting do you want to get into? TR decorations? If so, you've come to the right place. Ask questions, post pieces for review before you buy them and use the search button - alot!

?

Yeh I think I would enjoy collecting TR and Soviet things, just something about the notoriety and the unfortunate eventual fate for the people that issued/received makes them appealing. I took some photos of some other medals from the antique store, they're not good enough to check whether the medals are real or not but here are the pictures anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	422519Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	422520Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	422521

?

Yes, you're right, the photos aren't much good. Try and get some better ones and post them in the correct sub forum as per the item. There are also plenty of items for sale in the classifieds section here and also from the forum sponsors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast