Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes

Article about: This RK has recently sold for over 2,000 Euros. I just wondered how many of the members here would have paid that amount...? Cheers, Carl

?

Default re: Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes

Here comes a embarrassing question, but if you do not ask, you will never learn. How do you recognize a RK from EK? To me they look pretty much the same. Usually i am quite good at paying attention to detail. Maybe the difference is so obvious i completely missed it, AKA "not being able to see the forest from all the trees". Danish abbreviation....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes
    P
    Many

?

Quote by carltiger View Post
    Personally, although I didn't express them earlier, I had my doubts about the originality due to the condition of the RK. I would not consider myself able to verify an RK, unless it was a blatant fake, so I am glad that Paul and Adrian have offered their opinions on this item. If either Paul or Adrian would care to point out the flaws with this item, I amongst others here on the forum would be happy to learn.

Regards,

Carl
    The date is a very big giveaway. This style of date won't be found on an original cross. the beading is very poor and soft and again doesn't match an original. The material of the frame is pitted, the quality of finish is not there, look at the inner corners of the frame and the join between the two frame halves for example.
    On top of that the artificial aging to the core is completely out of character to the rest of the cross. The ribbon loop is a piece of wirt that has been snipped from a roll as you can see by the sharp and wedge shaped end, original ribbon loops are finished with a rounded end.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

would you pay 675euro for an RK loop?
    https://www.history-shop.de/katalog/...DES_79051.html

cheers,
    Pat

?

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Here comes a embarrassing question, but if you do not ask, you will never learn. How do you recognize a RK from EK? To me they look pretty much the same. Usually i am quite good at paying attention to detail. Maybe the difference is so obvious i completely missed it, AKA "not being able to see the forest from all the trees". Danish abbreviation....
    Not an embarrassing question at all, many people ask the same question. An EK2 is smaller, generally around 44mm across, a RK is larger, around 48mm across. The RK is designed to be worn around the neck and the EK2 from a medalbar, look at the ribbon and suspension rings and you can see the difference. An EK1 is a pin or screw back award and easy to distinguish.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

For comparison Datrus...

First point of note would be the ring at the top of the cross. Secondly, RK's are bigger.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes   Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes  

adrian very useful information thank you

Quote by carltiger View Post
    It sold for a little over 2,000 GBP Tom.

Did you have a good day yesterday Nick?
    I had a blast Carl thanks!! Still a bit hung over!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Paul, where can I learn more about the battlefield tours?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    The date is a very big giveaway. This style of date won't be found on an original cross. the beading is very poor and soft and again doesn't match an original. The material of the frame is pitted, the quality of finish is not there, look at the inner corners of the frame and the join between the two frame halves for example.
    On top of that the artificial aging to the core is completely out of character to the rest of the cross. The ribbon loop is a piece of wirt that has been snipped from a roll as you can see by the sharp and wedge shaped end, original ribbon loops are finished with a rounded end.
    Ade,am i right in thinking that the core was artifically aged before being put in the frame? Stewy

?

Thanks Adrian, good to know it (not that I'm in the market for one yet mind!). Nick, glad to hear that you enjoyed your big day. Here's to fifty more!

Regards,

Carl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast