Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Ritterkreuz opinions

Article about: Opinions welcome on this marked RK with ribbon please folks. I have looked at one or two originals, and would like to know what you think about the loop attached to the top of the frame? Ove

?

Default Ritterkreuz opinions

Opinions welcome on this marked RK with ribbon please folks. I have looked at one or two originals, and would like to know what you think about the loop attached to the top of the frame? Overall, I have my doubts.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ritterkreuz opinions   Ritterkreuz opinions  

Ritterkreuz opinions   Ritterkreuz opinions  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ritterkreuz opinions
    P
    Many

Default Re: Ritterkreuz opinions

Hi Carl, I am assuming that is a magnet on the center part. Looking at the pics, and not in hand. I don't see any glaring errors. Markings are a bit sparse, but not terribly unusual. Condition of paint looks about right. I would think it is OK, but wait for more comments

i am by no means an expert but i do notice that the loop doesn't seem to look right as it overlaps both sides and i thought they were supposed to just sit fluch with the top, the only other thing is the last picture (opposite the 3) looks to be a crack/bent but above and below looks to possible be flash (cast maybe)
    Ritterkreuz opinions

however wait for an expert and i hope you get a nice one

Very valid observations Tom ! I have not seen a suspension ring in that position before

Nick
    Last edited by Woolgar; 01-03-2012 at 06:02 PM.
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Dipping ring fake i'm afraid !! No original RK has a ring which dips into the frame !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

The ribbon is a modern fake as well , sorry for that !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Thanks guys! I mentioned the loop, or suspension ring I should say, so I'm glad that you highlighted that Paul. Nice spot on the flawed frame too Tom, I hadn't noticed that. The item isn't mine, and the seller is not somebody I know so I wanted to show it before I considered doing anything.

Cheers,

Carl

This particular version cross has been around for a number of years and can be found with numerous marks (including "L/12", "20", etc.). There is also a 1957 version using this same frame and there is a very slight chance that the frame may have been used by an unknown maker in the pre-November, 1941 period to make some crosses.

Although there is, as of now, no "official award" cross with a "dipping ring", the so-called "Sedlatzek cross' in the Maerz book is an example of a wartime-made cross with an intentional "dipping ring". Interestingly, the frame on the "Sedlatzek cross" (note: NOT made by Sedlatzek, but only sold by him), is the same frame used by Souval to make postwar crosses with "dipping 3" in the obverse '1939' date. There are multiple original wartime photos of "dipping ring" crosses in wear. Some of these are most likely the "Seladtzek" version, some may be "normal" crosses from known makers where the step of "shaving" the integral ring as it intrudes into the frame was missed, and others may be other crosses from unknown makers. The "no original crosses with dipping ring" belief is a myth, and it is more accurate to say that "no currently known AWARD CROSSES" have the dipping ring.

?

The guys above are correct Carl, this is a post war made cross and ribbon too.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

how do you actually tell a wartime ribbon from a fake one ive never quite worked it out

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast