Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ritterkreuz soldering

Article about: Hello everyone. Iíll admit to being out of depth on this one, so I would value your opinions. I have been given a Knights Cross to try and authenticate for a friend, but having never handled

?

Default Re: Ritterkreuz soldering

Quote by fch630 View Post
    Having never handled one before it's great to have all of this pointed out to me.
    Sadly most of us never have.. And never will..
    You can get around 90-100 EK2's for the price of a RK, so I prefer that!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Latvian special i believe , very poor quality RK for all the reasons mentioned above . We have recently discussed another Dipping ring fake so maybe check out that thread as well !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Here's the link to the recent thread with a 'dipping ring' RK. Harrier has posted information regarding this type of cross and the fact it is possible to find privately purchased RKs with this feature. It must be pointed out though that these are not award pieces and do not conform to what you see in most reference books about the most commonly known RKs.
    Dipping ring fake Ritterkreuz

?

As far as i'm aware the Sedlatzek Cross was used by Heinrich Hoffmann in official RK photos taken by him which is why they do appear in period photos but were never official awards !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

That's interesting Paul, why would he have a 'prop' to use in photos of recipients who actually had a 'real' RK?

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    That's interesting Paul, why would he have a 'prop' to use in photos of recipients who actually had a 'real' RK?
    Not sure mate , a snippet from Dietrich but the source of the info i don't know , maybe Harrier has further knowledge re this ?

1st July 1916

?

So just to clarify at the moment, there is a school of thought that says there are genuine wartime produced dipping ring RKs that were private purchase, one idea that these were only used as props in studio photos hence the relative abundance of photographic evidence and there is still the thought that these are post war produced crosses?

This is the quote from Dietrich's book: "It is also reported that the photographer Heinrich Hoffmann carried crosses from Sedlatzek with him when he took pictures of newly awarded Knights Cross winners. This could be the source of some of the contemporary pictures showing Knights Crosses with a dipping ring." I can see this happening if the winner did not yet possess an actual piece, or if Hoffmann found that Sedlatzek crosses somehow "photographed" better, or something similar. I would think it would be helpful to know whether the wartime photos of the "dipping ring" in wear were, in fact, actually taken by Hoffmann. In the absence of a "hard wartime print" with a "credit", I don't know how to substantiate that. Several months ago, I was in touch with a collector in Germany who stated that he had one of these crosses directly from a pilot in SG2 and he believed it was an early private purchase piece.

?

It suggests Hoffmann had more than one of these crosses. I wonder why he felt the need for several? Would an RK winner be allowed to have his official portrait taken before he actually had been awarded his cross? Why didn't Hoffmann simply get a 'regular' RK from a manufacturer for his 'prop'?

So many questions eh?

It's an interesting area. Generally, a telegram went out from the personnel office to the local command headquarters advising that certain people had been awarded the RK. Those people were then notified of the award. Depending on where the people were, the actual award ceremony might not take place for weeks. There is one case (also reported by Dietrich, but there are others, too) of a Luftwaffe pilot (and this is well after the "ban" on private sales) who learned that he had been awarded the RK, went into the nearby town and either bought or, more likely, "conned" a cross from the display of a local merchant, so he could start wearing it! His commanding officer was not happy.........

I'll try to post a photo of a standard telegram I used elsewhere as a Christmas card a couple of weeks ago.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	erk1242.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	289493  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast