Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ritterkreuz soldering

Article about: Hello everyone. Iíll admit to being out of depth on this one, so I would value your opinions. I have been given a Knights Cross to try and authenticate for a friend, but having never handled

Default Re: Ritterkreuz soldering

harrier you have a amzing weath of information its brilliant just reading
    just an idea hoffmann may have used these crosses for photos as if the soldat is in the field he could get shot anytime before he got officially awarded it so it would be good for the family to have a photo of their son wearing a RK (even if it isn't the actual one) hope that makes sense

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Quote by talltom View Post
    just an idea hoffmann may have used these crosses for photos as if the soldat is in the field he could get shot anytime before he got officially awarded it so it would be good for the family to have a photo of their son wearing a RK (even if it isn't the actual one) hope that makes sense
    An interesting idea Tom! I'm not sure Hoffmann would move to the field to take RKT portraits, he would incur alot of travelling for the odd photo here and there and I'm sure he had quite a busy diary in Germany.

?

Quote by talltom View Post
    harrier you have a amzing weath of information its brilliant just reading
    Not really Tom if they were Kia prior to the award or the award was postumous the RK was airbrushed onto the photos !! Many examples of this exist.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    It suggests Hoffmann had more than one of these crosses. I wonder why he felt the need for several? Would an RK winner be allowed to have his official portrait taken before he actually had been awarded his cross? Why didn't Hoffmann simply get a 'regular' RK from a manufacturer for his 'prop'?

So many questions eh?
    Wonder if Hoffmann was on a retainer from Sedlatzek to use and try and promote his RK in order for it to gain official recognition !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Not really Tom if they were Kia prior to the award or the award was postumous the RK was airbrushed onto the photos !! Many examples of this exist.
    really! wow do you have any photos so we can see didn't think they had airbrushing back then lol

First - Thanks for the nice words. As with anyone who studies RK's, I am a complete amateur. There is just so much we don't know anything about, really. In all the PKZ records Dietrich Maerz obtained to write his book, he has told me that there is virtually nothing about the manufacturers - no correspondence, no precise lists....nothing. An awful lot is guesswork and trying to put together pieces of a puzzle when you are missing most of the pieces and even a picture of what the puzzle is supposed to look like when you finish. To me, Pieter Verbruggen and Bob Hritz are the most experienced RK collectors around and I pay great attention to what they think.

I don't know if the Hoffmann story is correct or not. The photos of "dipping ring" crosses, although certainly wartime
    and real, don't seem to have any formal consistency as to poses, backgrounds, lighting, etc., and the "story", I suppose, is a good as any other.

P.S. Just saw the last couple of posts. I believe that none of the people in the photographs I posted were KIA and, for them at least, none of the RK's have been "added" in a studio. "Cut and paste", however, was certainly used many times for people who were KIA.

?

Quote by Harrier View Post
    First - Thanks for the nice words. As with anyone who studies RK's, I am a complete amateur. There is just so much we don't know anything about, really. In all the PKZ records Dietrich Maerz obtained to write his book, he has told me that there is virtually nothing about the manufacturers - no correspondence, no precise lists....nothing. An awful lot is guesswork and trying to put together pieces of a puzzle when you are missing most of the pieces and even a picture of what the puzzle is supposed to look like when you finish. To me, Pieter Verbruggen and Bob Hritz are the most experienced RK collectors around and I pay great attention to what they think.

I don't know if the Hoffmann story is correct or not. The photos of "dipping ring" crosses, although certainly wartime
    and real, don't seem to have any formal consistency as to poses, backgrounds, lighting, etc., and the "story", I suppose, is a good as any other.

P.S. Just saw the last couple of posts. I believe that none of the people in the photographs I posted were KIA and, for them at least, none of the RK's have been "added" in a studio. "Cut and paste", however, was certainly used many times for people who were KIA.
    My comment about RK's being added to photos didn't refer to the DR photos you posted just in general !! Totally agree about Bob and Pieter i'm also lucky enough to have direct access to Arthur Charlton , his collection and records !!

1st July 1916

Gentlemen..............To bring this thread up to date on the "Sedlatzek Ritterkreuz" mentioned, see here.....
    My Sedlatzek Ritterkreuz.......
    Prost ! Steve.
    "The German Army is the perfectly adapted, perfectly running Machine. The difference is that the Germans are organised with a view to War...with the cold, hard, practical and business-like purpose of winning victories."
    G.W. Steevens - The Daily Mail (1897)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123