Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Spanish EK1 - what are your views?

Article about: I don't have a Spanish EK in my collection and this one has just caught my eye. I was always sceptical about them until I read about them in Dietrichs excellent EK1 book. I quote: ' The 250.

Default Spanish EK1 - what are your views?

I don't have a Spanish EK in my collection and this one has just caught my eye.

I was always sceptical about them until I read about them in Dietrichs excellent EK1 book.

I quote:

' The 250.Infanterie Division of the German Army was made up of Spanish volunteers and was also called the Blaue Division. Originally planned as a of around 19000 men.Legion it soon became clear that the stream of volunteers was enough to form a full Division. Due to the fact that Spain was not at war with Russia, no Spanish uniforms could be worn, so the front troops wore the German uniform with a Spanish arm shield.

The Division was withdrawn in October 1943 due to the pressure from the British Government on Spain to stay absolutely neutral in the war. Approximately 45000 volunteers served in the Blue Division and out of this number it is reported that 138 soldiers won the Iron Cross First Class.

The soldiers of the Blue division could wear their medals with the swastika after the war and this is the reason for the production of the later type from the 50's to the 70's '

The cross I have put up for feedback is the usual one piece, however I cant find any pictures of the early or later type crosses with that pin plate.

The numerals look like late type according to Dietrich's photo's.

Any opinions are welcome

Many thanks

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spanish EK1 - what are your views?   Spanish EK1 - what are your views?  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Spanish EK1 - what are your views?
    P
    Many

Here are some pics of early and late war examples from the book

First the early example

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spanish EK1 - what are your views?   Spanish EK1 - what are your views?  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

late example

horrible Nick,but as you collect EKs then you must have 1 in the collection.

Yes I agree Harry they look awful !

I am concerned about the coffin shaped pin plate, yes the cross is post war but I am thing that pin plate is post 1970's

Nick

Gents, I have a small collection of Spanish TR replacement medals/awards, see here........Blue Division Vets awards.................... This EK I is a genuine Spanish made item, however your assumption is correct on date of manufacture, 1970's could even be 80's to early 90's ! The seller has been trying to sell for some time starting at what I think was a daft price it is now down considerably, but still expensive for what it is............also see here for more information on Spanish EK's....
    EK1 made in Spain for Blue Division members - Page 4 - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums
    Prost ! Steve.

Thank you Steve, very helpful !

Nick

?

Thumbs up

I've never heard of this variation of the EK.
    Since I collect All vintage variations of the EK I now have another to look for.
    What value do the Spanish variants have???
    Sarge

?

Hi Nick,
    I have seen these and one was even given to me years before (it was a 2nd class and I ended up giving it away to a friend) As it was pointed put they still made these things into the 80's. I would invest very little in one and they fake these as well, or the Spanish are still cranking them out. I would sure have one of the guys on WAF that collects them check it out first.

The neater examples are the much more rare Japanese versions.

Jody

Quote by Sarge View Post
    I've never heard of this variation of the EK.
    Since I collect All vintage variations of the EK I now have another to look for.
    What value do the Spanish variants have???
    Sarge
    They can be worth more than TR EK1's in many cases

Nick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast