Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Storing the Eisernes Kreuz (how to)

Article about: How do you store your Eisernes Kreuz awards? I’m considering storing them in clear polyethylene zip lock bags. I have arrival safe pocket sheets but the crosses invariably fall out when I le

Default Storing the Eisernes Kreuz (how to)

How do you store your Eisernes Kreuz awards? I’m considering storing them in clear polyethylene zip lock bags. I have archival safe pocket sheets but the crosses invariably fall out when I least expect...I was thinking placing them in the poly bags and then place in archival envelopes and store in an archival safe box.

Appreciate any suggestions to protect these valuables.

Thank you, NevKaiser
    Last edited by NevKaiser; 09-24-2019 at 04:51 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Storing the Eisernes Kreuz (how to)
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

I keep mine arranged in padded riker mounts. Storage and display at the same time.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

I keep mine in labelled pouches

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images Storing the Eisernes Kreuz (how to)  Storing the Eisernes Kreuz (how to)  Storing the Eisernes Kreuz (how to) 
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thank you Woolgar, the only problem which I would have with those sleeves is if they are made from PVC, they will eventually damage the medals. PVC wrecked havoc on coin collectors years ago when the unsuspecting collector placed them in PVC slips and overtime damaged occurred. PVC ‘s chemical properties will damage metals in due course unfortunately. If they are made of thicker Polyethylene, then they’ll be fine but I don’t know anyone who makes anything thicker than 4 mil using Poly.

By the way, amazing collection and thank you for sharing the photos (but please be careful if they are made from PVC).

Please see this attached link which describes the PVC concern and alternate and safer ways of storage:

Basic Care of Coins, Medals and Medallic Art – Canadian Conservation Institute (CCI) Notes 9/4 - Canada.ca
    Last edited by NevKaiser; 09-24-2019 at 07:37 PM.

...if those sleeves are not PVC, where may I obtain some?

Your great organization and beautiful cataloging is inspiring me. Your collection is museum quality.

MAP
    ?

If you want to display them or hang them on the wall, I like front opening shadow boxes made by Timeless Expressions. Just buy your favorite color backing material to go over the off white cotton it comes with (I like red velvet), and then hang on the wall. The front opening box is really convenient if you want to take them out.

They come in a number of sizes but not as large as some Riker cases.

Frames - Shadow Box | Timeless Expressions

Riker cases as Todd notes are great as well but work best when laying flat. They are however nicer if you want to transport them to a show or somewhere

So really depends on how you want to display them

See old old photos of the shadow boxes in post 124 and 126

My Collection - A portion
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Beautiful Militaria, thank you very much for sharing!

I hear you, but they have been in those pouches for 10 years without a single blemish. I will however heed your warning and keep a close eye as the years pass

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

That’s excellent...what outstanding organization on those beautiful Eisernen Kreuz!

Purpose specific inert medal pouches will not harm medals as would generic PVC. Pine display cases are far more harmful due to chemical fume emissions from the wood so even wooden cases need to be purpose specific.

There are many ways to store and display a collection but basic principles apply to all;

1. Dry environment - well ventilated and not humid.
    2. Protect from dust.
    3. Avoid bright sunlight.
    4. Default to inert materials.
    5. Avoid excessive handling with bare hands.
    6. Do not place items in stress positions. EG hats resing on the peaks or helmets on stands which support them by the liner.

There are other factors but these are the main ones that apply to just about everything in some way.

The biggest threats are from moisture and reactive storage materials.

Let us know how you plan to proceed and somebody will surely point out any considerations.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast