Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Time for an EK update!!!

Article about: Wow Nick... you have a most impressive collecion. Thanks for posting it for us to see! Now for a tough question. If you could only keep one, which would it be? Regards, Rob.

Default Re: Time for an EK update!!!

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Your kidding he has got to be the luckiest man alive any ideal what he paid for it ? And I may be mistaken please correct me if I am wrong but can they not track every Knights Cross back to it's Original recipiant.

Regards Mark K
    I dont think they can without its documentation as they are not serial numbered on the actual cross

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What a shame Nick any ideal on how many recipants there were to the Knights Cross or are there any records of this nature at all.

Regards Mark K

Wikipedia, although suspect in many cases, has this article which is well-documented, and may at least prove a starting point for further research if desired.

List of Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross recipients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to one source:
    The Association of Knight's Cross Recipients names 7,322 recipients of the Knight's Cross in the three military branches of the Wehrmacht, consisting of the Heer, Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe, the Waffen-SS, the Reichsarbeitsdienst (RAD) and the Volkssturm. The AKCR also lists 43 individuals in the military of allies of the Third Reich for a total of 7,365 recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. Of these 890 individuals received Oak Leaves (882 members of the Wehrmacht and 8 non-Germans); 160 received Oak Leaves and Swords (159 members of the Wehrmacht and one honorary recipient, the Japanese admiral Isoroku Yamamoto). Only 27 men were awarded the Diamonds grade of the Knight's Cross (3 field marshals, 10 generals, 3 colonels, 9 ace pilots and 2 U-boat captains); Hans-Ulrich Rudel was the only recipient of the Knight's Cross with Golden Oak Leaves, Swords, and Diamonds.

Among those generally accepted 159 German recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords are 13 recipients, whose Swords to the Knight's Cross do not meet the formal awarding criteria of the Knight's Cross. Twenty-four recipients of the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves are also lacking sustainable evidence that their listing is justifiable. Otto Weidinger, Günther-Eberhardt Wisliceny, Sylvester Stadler and Wilhelm Bittrich received the Swords from SS Obergruppenführer Josef Dietrich, who was not legally authorized to present the award.

Further, Hermann Fegelein was executed in the last days of the war for desertion, a charge which upon conviction would have legally deprived him of all rank and awards, including his Knight's Cross. However, his might have been an extralegal execution. According to the recollections of Wilhelm Mohnke, he and the three other general officers tasked with holding a court martial for Fegelein found him to be of such unsound mind that he was not competent to stand trial under military law. Fegelein subsequently disappeared in the hands of Gruppenführer Johann Rattenhuber, who had been one of the empaneled court-martial judges, and the Führerbunker's Reichssicherheitsdienst security squad. Fegelein was never seen or heard from again.

Among the officers who participated in the plot to assassinate Hitler on 20 July 1944 were thirteen recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. In addition, 711 recipients of the Knight's Cross later served in the Bundeswehr, with 114 of them reaching the rank of general.
    Distribution by Service
    Heer :4,785 Luftwaffe:1,785 Kriegsmarine :318 (316) Waffen SS:457

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thank you gentlemen for taking the time to do the research to answer my questions an amazing award in every variation and form that it was presented in .

Regards Mark K

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345