Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Unusual Eisernes Kreuz, opinions please if real or fantasy???

Article about: Adrian seeing your RK with oakleafs I started wondering. Submarine commanders were awarded the RK with or without leafs by radio, as a rule the crew immediatly made one out of scratch for th

Default Re: Unusual Eisernes Kreuz, opinions please if real or fantasy???

Adrian

seeing your RK with oakleafs I started wondering.
    Submarine commanders were awarded the RK with or without leafs by radio, as a rule the crew immediatly made one out of scratch for their commander to ware on board.
    Do you consider them fake or period?

A food for thought?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unusual Eisernes Kreuz, opinions please if real or fantasy???
    P
    Many

?

A good point but is there any evidence of a U-Boat commander being awarded the RK, the Oakleaves and the Oakleaves with Swords on one voyage and not have the time between each award to collect his decorations?
    From the on board made RKs I have seen on publications, even these were of fairly decent quality.
    These are not period field made awards in my opinion.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Maybe there's a field next to Charlie's house and he made it there, he wouldn't be lying in his description then would he?
    Lol
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Yh i completely agree with what Davidcwjones is saying, this EK2 is just what i found on eBay and was surprised by the number of bids and amount of money and i was just curious as to why, well in many respects i disagree with what Big ned said as i believe this is the place for more experienced members should be inclined to help new collectors, anyway Big ned here is my example of the EK2

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/order...16/#post346471

Yes Glennyboy but what I think Big Ned is angling at is that it is expected that new collectors take the time to learn a little about this craft themselves and don't keep rushing to the forum with every piece of ebay junk they find asking "is it real?", "what's it worth?". That wears pretty thin on those who are trying to help and educate. No-one is a complete expert and you'll find you get much more assistance if you take the time to learn even the basics so you can make informed guesses and perhaps debate back on forth on various points of an item whilst referencing either literature on the subject or other forum threads/debates etc. Just looking at EK's and being able to spot a W&L from a Souval is not hard at all and is a good entry point to beginning to tell maker from maker and fake from real.It worked for me so I'm sure it'll work for you!

If you are implying this at me, i just used it once, which was on a selection of medals which i was being offered and i just wanted to know what a fair asking price would be, however, i do not agree that people should come on here just for free evaluations as that does no one any favours. =D

"what's it worth?"

NICE Ritter with oakleaves and swords,Adrian...is it for Sale,i hope?? Although....I like the Anti-Partisan Too....such a dilemma... Which to buy?? Ohh..I can't decide... William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Yes Glennyboy but what I think Big Ned is angling at is that it is expected that new collectors take the time to learn a little about this craft themselves and don't keep rushing to the forum with every piece of ebay junk they find asking "is it real?", "what's it worth?". That wears pretty thin on those who are trying to help and educate. No-one is a complete expert and you'll find you get much more assistance if you take the time to learn even the basics so you can make informed guesses and perhaps debate back on forth on various points of an item whilst referencing either literature on the subject or other forum threads/debates etc. Just looking at EK's and being able to spot a W&L from a Souval is not hard at all and is a good entry point to beginning to tell maker from maker and fake from real.It worked for me so I'm sure it'll work for you!
    Glenn makes a fair point. There are other forums where new members who post their items good or bad, don't get an answer because everyone has 'seen it before' and get bored of answering the same questions day in day out and sometimes these members never progress beyond this stage of posting.
    It is really good to see a new collector start out in the hobby and it has to be understood that initially there are the inevitable questions but you also see that in the right environment and with a push in the right direction, the new collectors can very quickly become more knowledgable than they realise at first.
    I have absolutely no problem with new members asking basic questions and would encourage them to do so - everyone had to start somewhere - but please learn from the answers you get! I would also encourage more experienced collectors to answer constructively and offer explanations of why a piece is good or bad, post links for them to refer to etc.
    It can be quite intimidating for a new collector to start out on any forum and be met with curt, short answers or not get any answers at all, it can discourage and put them off posting, they don't learn or gain experience and this can lead to expensive mistakes.
    This is a friendly place to post, the members here are all good guys, there is a huge amount of knowledge here and I hope everyone can help a new guy out. Saying that though, if, after 5000 posts you're still asking 'is it real and what's it worth' then you have to understand patience can wear a little thin........

I would also point out that eBay is not the place to look for genuine TR awards and decorations. Those days are long gone.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

to be honest i studied the internet for a while before getting my EK and thought i knew all i needed and as soon as i joined this forum, i realised how little i really knew....half the time now i dont comment, i look at what someones posted and think to myself is it real or fake. i then wait for the more experienced members to comment and see how my judgement was. the thing ive noticed is people on here are very friendley and wont blank your post. thats the thing i respect about these guys, they take the time to educate newbies like myself with no personal gain. its just a nice forum with good genuine people. i agree with ned you should research before you buy as sometimes an implus buy can cost you dearly if you have no knowledge. well thats my deep thinking done for the day!

?

Every thread and every item that gets posted here will get a reply.

As an aside, David, I looked at every Arriva bus driver on my travels around County Durham the last couple of days but didn't see you, they all seemed to be a bit more....... ummm........ senior?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast