Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

British brick built bunker, circa 1940

Article about: packin9, They were not used as observation posts, they are Pillbox's. They usually come in pairs, the one in Adrians photo is a bren gun Pillbox, the other one, that would be nearby, would b

Default British brick built bunker, circa 1940

Hi Guys, I took a photo of this bunker or "Pillbox" today on my way home from work this afternoon.

It dates from 1940 and was built when the threat of German invasion was high. It is part of a loose defensive line which runs along side the River Trent in the Midlands region of England. (Western Command Stop Line No 5) This bunker sits on a hill which is not far from the river and a bridge.

These bunkers follow many different designs, most are made of concrete but some are brick. I often wonder what real use they would have been if the invasion came?

Defence of Britain Project homepage

I will take some more pics of two other local concrete bunkers which defend a bridge.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British brick built bunker, circa 1940  

Kraftfahrer Bob
    ?

Default Re: British brick built bunker, circa 1940

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Guys, I took a photo of this bunker or "Pillbox"

These bunkers follow many different designs, most are made of concrete but some are brick. I often wonder what real use they would have been if the invasion came?

Cheers, Ade.
    Well , i guess most Germans come swimming on the beaches after that there vessels where sunken by the Royal Navy , so in the worryest case they are armed with an Pistole 08 or P.38 . In that case those brick-bunker will give Magnificent protection . Bob .
    Last edited by Kraftfahrer Bob; 05-20-2008 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Omission

?

Now, that looks very familiar! Can't quite place it at the moment...
    (It IS late though! )

Hi Don, it is near Swarkestone Bridge on the A514.

More details on this pillbox

Cheers, Ade.

There are loads of these in Norfolk Ade
    Ben

Rick
    ?

Hi All, looks in good condition, some times brick was used as shutterint and concrete poured in to the cavity, wood was a precious comodity and required for aircraft construction.

At an airfeild i once worked on we uncovered all manner of defences, in cluding a working Picket Hamilton fort.

?

Old fortifications are always of interest to me. What might seem flimsy today because of advancements in technology would certainly have been a major obstacle at the time of construction. From ancient Mott and Bailey castles to more modern bunkers they all have a story to tell.

Rick
    ?

Absolutly Steve, a farmer near to my childhood home once tried to remove one from his land, (standard concrete pill box) had a firm come in with demo charges, police shut the road big bang, guess what! still there and most of it survived the second atempt as well, looked a bit sorry last time i saw it but still hanging in there.

Beau Dece
    ?

Heres a nice story, you all probably know and this is a friend of mine who said this, When they lay the mines on the beaches (So we didnt physically have to fight them on the beaches) they forgot to get the same guys back, so stupidly they had men walking on the beaches and getting killed, so umm in short the mines killed as many as they stopped.

Perhaps they were used as mere observation posts?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast