Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Iconic Normandy photo's Robert Capa's Then and Now.

Article about: by Adrian I hadn't seen this thread before either, a good set of comparison photos, thanks for taking the time to share them. Blume, do know more about this particular prisoner? Unfortunatel

?

Default Re: Iconic Normandy photo's Robert Capa's Then and Now.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I hadn't seen this thread before either, a good set of comparison photos, thanks for taking the time to share them.

Blume, do know more about this particular prisoner?
    Unfortunately no, I have seen this picture first time last year in Berlin, I know that he was an SS Untersturmfuher Kurt Peters III/Battalion 37 Regiment 17 SS Panzergrenadier Gotz Von Berlichingen captured in Notre Dame de Cenilly, Normandy between 27 -29 July, 1944, during the Cobra Operation.
    Mark Bando in his book "Breakout at Normandy: The 2nd Armored Division in the Land of the Dead ", attributes the men from Das Reich Deutschland Regiment or the Engineer Bn.
    The M.P. Lt Paul Unger is the that frisking the young SS Officier.
    I don't belive that we not know about his fate!!! Not its possible, this is an iconic picture, we find it everywhere, on the history book, in the war museum.
    I know that the german POWS were taken and held in the UK camps.
    I belive that we find the truth in the American or British archives.

Blume

I hope that he was treated well, but SS guys were no angels. Look at Kurt Meyer's boys. They executed MANY allied POWs. I'm pretty sure that the U.S. and our UK brothers didn't partake in nearly as many actions.

?

How write by another guy: this Lieutenant surely "spent" some bitter year´s of fighting on the Western, (maybe also the Eastern ?), front.

Not every soldier, wearing the "double Sig-rune" on his collar, was a monster ..

Blume

This guy who could have compete for the title of Mister Universe,SS category, looks a bit bitter,indeed,héhéhéhé.....
    What could be the taste of defeat in his mouth?After having sucked the blood of my country during 4 years???
    Sorry dear charming man,i cannot cry a tear on your supposed fate.

?

Quote by sebfrench76 View Post
    This guy who could have compete for the title of Mister Universe,SS category, looks a bit bitter,indeed,héhéhéhé.....
    What could be the taste of defeat in his mouth?After having sucked the blood of my country during 4 years???
    Dear friend, I have only commented and ask information about a great famous picture of Robert Capa from Normandy. The picture of the young SS Offcier we can find everywhere, in the war museum, in the history books, in the war Magazine.
    I respect you point of view, but I don't belive that we not know about his fate!

Best regards

Blume

Blume,don't get me wrong!!
    I was just happy to see a glamourous SS in the hand of the US Military Police...
    If you had family in Normandie,where i do live,you'll understand why i'm happy,héhéhéhé...

Here is a previous thread regarding said SS officer photo:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ostfr...mandy-19723-3/

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by sebfrench76 View Post
    A very sorry comment.

Quote by packin9 View Post
    A very sorry comment.
    Re-read post #26....it explains.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thank you William.
    I know my input isn't clearly politically correct,it's just that we perfectly know here what was the weight of the nazi's presence,something that,luckily for us,you my American friends,didn't had to stand on your Homeland..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast