Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

70th anniversary of the battle of monte camino italy

Article about: Hi guys,my granddad fought on monte camino.On saturday morning im off for a week to Italy for the 70th anniversary and to pay respect to all the fallen hero's,,so ill be back in a week with

As has been said already, this is an amazing thread, thank you very much for taking the time to share this terrific story with us. Your Grandad is just great.

Windridge
    ?

My grandmother recently passed away and amoungst her possessions were two photos wrapped in tissue paper placed face to face, tied in ribbon. It was a photo of her with her brother Tommy (Thomas Denney). The photo was of him in his Grenadier Guards uniform and the last she had of him. She rarely spoke of him but her emotion was still as raw at 86 as was the day she placed those photos together in a box when she learned of his death. The box also contained a letter she had written to him. I am now trying to dig into my Great Uncle Tommy's time in the war. I believe he died on the mountain. These are the details so far. This posting has been of such help. I am intending to visit here soon. I am intending on sharing my research with my father as a Christmas Present.

Thomas Frederick Denny
    6th Batallion, Grenadier Guards - Guardsman
    Died 8th November 1943 on the mountain.

He is buried in Minturno War Cemetry after being moved from an isolated site.

He was not married and therefore according to this time, had no children.

Hi Windridge
    Thanks for getting in touch,condolences for your recent loss,please send me the pictures you have of Tommy.
    If theres any chance you could find out what company he was in,i could tell you where abouts on Camino he died.
    Many Thanks Adam
    ill also send you an email

?

Anyone know how I can get in touch with Mike Sterling, please? Jezza

Jezza.

If you private message me, I will give you Mike's email address.

I am off to Camino the week after next.

Regards

Frank

I am a battlefield guide for Monte Cassino and have walked the Camino feature many times. John Henshaw's thread is absolutely spot on.

Frank

?

Default Mte Camino

Quote by Minden1759 View Post
    I am a battlefield guide for Monte Cassino and have walked the Camino feature many times. John Henshaw's thread is absolutely spot on.

Frank
    I made contact with mike Sterling some time ago now and he was most helpful in supplying material for a photo book I was doing on Mte Camino. I believe I actually found a Stone Man which looks the part unlike the other photos submitted claiming to be said rocky outcrop!

Regards

Jezza

Jezza.

I would love to see your photo book when it is done.

Could you explain the reference to Stone Man?

Regards

Frank

?

Quote by Minden1759 View Post
    Jezza.

I would love to see your photo book when it is done.

Could you explain the reference to Stone Man?

Regards

Frank
    It was published last month. Let me have your email address and I can have a link sent to you.

You'll read about Stone Man in my account of the 2nd battle of Mte Camino. There is a photo of it on the web which purports to be it but is definitely not!

Jezza

Jezza.

Yes please. f.deplanta@btinternet.com

Regards

Frank

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast