Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

An 89-Year-Old British Veteran Escaped His Nursing Home To Attend D-Day Celebrations

Article about: Ben Farmer, The Telegraph Jun. 6, 2014, 1:08 PM Bernard Jordan, former mayor of Hove, was identified as the veteran who absconded from his care home and made his way to Normandy An 89-year-o

?

The Great Escape Theme - YouTube
    Well done good for him I do hope he enjoys his freedom well earned in my opinion.

Regards Mark

Good on him. It's sad that elderly people lose basic rights that we younger people take for granted. Their only crime is getting old, and the punishment for that is being treated like children. If Hitler couldn't tell him what to do, I don't think the nursing home staff would have much luck either.

Cheers, Willie.

Quote by willie45 View Post
    Good on him. It's sad that elderly people lose basic rights that we younger people take for granted. Their only crime is getting old, and the punishment for that is being treated like children. If Hitler couldn't tell him what to do, I don't think the nursing home staff would have much luck either.

Cheers, Willie.
    Reminds me of something I heard on the radio during our "government shutdown" (which wasn't a shutdown at all, just fear mongering, but I digress) late last year. They closed the WWII memorial in DC by surrounding it with your basic crowd control metal pipe fencing. Veterans had come from all over to visit, already had trips planned and such, but couldn't get to their own damn memorial. I was listening to a DC radio station and the DJ said, "These guys invaded Europe and fought the Nazis. You think they give a damn about a fence?" They didn't and they went right through it. Ain't nothing gonna stop these guys except death itself.

Sometimes, these nursing home staff members seem to forget that not Everyone is in a Care facility because they are senile and suffer dementia. Some patients are there simply because they find it too difficult to live alone anymore, with their age and various infirmities. The staff should remember that they are not hired as prison guards...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Well done to him and for escape theories he probably went out the bathroom or toilet window.
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

Isnt that fantastic to see getting to that age and still being as crafty as that.

?

An excellent E & E plan, & well done to him. Cheers Terry.

Respect!

Nuff said.

What a guy !!!!!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hey...if he could get off of that Beach 70 years ago, slipping the chain from a Nursing Home must have been a piece of cake...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast