Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Aftermath of War, Berlin in May 1945

Article about: .

Default Re: Aftermath of War, Berlin in May 1945

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Cheers Gunny ! I still have not been to Berlin, I really need to get off my A***E and start visiting these places !!
    You should mate, you can get a return flight with easyjet from Liverpool for about £60 if you book a few months in advance.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    You should mate, you can get a return flight with easyjet from Liverpool for about £60 if you book a few months in advance.
    Yeah mate, seen them, I have to try and arrange around work, I never know where I am going to, one of the pit falls of being self employed !! We will have to go over sometime !! haha

The truly sad thing is that while the armed forces "sowed the wind" the populace "reaped the whirlwind'"
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    The truly sad thing is that while the armed forces "sowed the wind" the populace "reaped the whirlwind'"
    Yes, it doesn't bear thinking about. Obviously some of our cities took a beating also from the Luftwaffe, no need to mention them, but on a much smaller scale.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Yep, a prime example being Dresden!...

is there a big hill in one of the parks there that is man made. it was made from all the rubble. and was it were the brick cleaner was invented to help clean and re use a lot of the bricks. were would you start to rebuild but they did.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Yep, a prime example being Dresden!...
    Very sad

Quote by geelong View Post
    is there a big hill in one of the parks there that is man made. it was made from all the rubble. and was it were the brick cleaner was invented to help clean and re use a lot of the bricks. were would you start to rebuild but they did.
    There are a number of the rubble hills in Berlin Teufelsberg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

?

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    No disrespect to our Bomber Command and/or Bomber Harris, they did a fantastic job, and did what they had to do, but I do feel sometimes that Dresden was a " City too Far " as it were. I believe the raid was conducted to prove to Stalin that we ( British ) could be ruthless and were committed to ending the war at all costs, not sure how true that is however
    Lets keep this on track , this isn't a discussion about Dresden or the policy of Bomber Command , many will take exception to these comments and you have posted them with the caveat that you don't even know if they are true !! After the recent WW1 Thread that had to be closed i'll warn everyone that if a discussion about Berlin cannot be conducted properly this time and gets out of hand then infractions will surely follow !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Lets keep this on track , this isn't a discussion about Dresden or the policy of Bomber Command , many will take exemption to these comments and you have pposted them with the caveat that you don't even know if they are true !! After the recent WW1 Thread that had to be closed i'll warn everyone that if a discussion about Berlin cannot be conducted properly this time and gets out of hand then infractions will surely follow !!
    Point taken !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast