Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

An Amazing New Exhibit in The National Veterans Art Museum in Chicago

Article about: I'd never heard of this awesome exhibit until I saw it posted by an old friend on FaceBook -take a look! The National Veterans Art Museum in Chicago has an unusual work of art. When visitors

Default An Amazing New Exhibit in The National Veterans Art Museum in Chicago

I'd never heard of this awesome exhibit until I saw it posted by an old friend on FaceBook -take a look!

The National Veterans Art Museum in Chicago has an unusual work of art. When visitors first enter the museum, they will hear a sound like wind chimes coming from above them and their attention will be drawn upward 24 feet to the ceiling of the two-story high atrium.

Dog tags of the more than 58,000 service men and women who died in the Vietnam War hang from the ceiling of the National Vietnam Veterans Art Museum in Chicago on Veterans Day, November 11, 2010. The 10-by-40-foot sculpture, entitled Above & Beyond, was designed by Ned Broderick and Richard Stein.

The tens of thousands of metal dog tags are suspended 24 feet in the air, 1 inch apart, from fine lines that allow them to move and chime with shifting air currents. Museum employees using a kiosk and laser pointer help visitors locate the exact dog tag with the imprinted name of their lost relative or friend.An Amazing New Exhibit in The National Veterans Art Museum in ChicagoAn Amazing New Exhibit in The National Veterans Art Museum in Chicago
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Default Re: An Amazing New Exhibit in The National Veterans Art Museum in Chicago

Wow! That's pretty moving. Really puts the 58,000 into perspective. Thanks for sharing. I had meet heard about this.

?

Default Re: An Amazing New Exhibit in The National Veterans Art Museum in Chicago

Wow that amazing I've never seen that many dog tags in one place that is a great memorial

very cool, how did they get that many. Were dog tags something you had to hand back when you discharge or were they donated

These tags are duplicates of the VietNam war dead and missing,Marc
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

ahhh ok. Realy puts it in perspective that many displayed like that. Really like the display R.I.P to all them men & woman

I am in Chicago and never heard of it.
    chris

?

Incredible that they actually made an archive system to be able to point an exact Dogtag out to families/friends

?

Agree, that like the wall, puts it in perspective.

Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by relicz; 06-13-2013 at 05:11 PM.
    Regards,
    John

?

That is a stunning commemorative display, thanks for posting William.

Regards,

Carl