Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Arnhem: 65th Anniversary

Article about: Hi Guys, in just a few weeks time it will be the 65th Anniversary of "OP Market-Garden". For 12 years running I attended the anniversary commemorations. Sadly the last two years I

Default Re: Arnhem: 65th Anniversary

More shots and of course, Arnhem "John Frost" Bridge.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Arnhem: 65th Anniversary   Arnhem: 65th Anniversary  

Arnhem: 65th Anniversary   Arnhem: 65th Anniversary  

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Arnhem: 65th Anniversary   Arnhem: 65th Anniversary  

Just to show that relics from the battle are still out there waiting to be found. A British "CLE" drop cannister found in the woods around our camp site.

I will add more pics of what this thread really ought to be about, the Veterans. Sadly I got to take very few, but I will add more when I get sent them from friends.

Here is my very good friend Don Turner and his wife Olive. Don fought with the XXI Indep Para Coy (Pathfinders) Don is seen by his friend Ben Swallow's grave, today and back in 1945.

The memorial is to the XXI and is at the crossroads in Oosterbeek. It represents "swords to ploughshares".

?

Very nice pictures Ade, I wish to be there too. Thanks for sharing them with us!
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Awesome thread Ade , fantastic ! The photo of Don in his beret and wearing his medals , laying a wreath at his friends graveside after 65 years just shows the depth of emotions these great men feel , and the picture says a thousand words . It leaves you a bit speechless ! I`d like to say how fabulous Don`s wife Olive looks also ,

cheers Al

Thanks Guys! Don and Olive and 87 and 86 years young respectively and have celebrated 65 years of marriage. They are so funny too with the things they say to one another. Quite a double act at times!

On the Sunday we do a commemorative 9km march in full kit with weapons to Arnhem Bridge. This for me is one of the highlights of the week. 200 of us took part, Brits, Dutch, Polish, Czech and a few French and Belgian lads, even some Aussies. There is an inspection beofre the march to try and make sure the kit is correct. I march with a full pack (all original contents) plus 6 full Sten mags and Sten MK V.

We did the march in 2 hours with a 10 min break.

Last ones.

My friend Jacek, from Poland. He leads the Polish group. We first met 10 years ago on the DZ. He blames me for getting into re-enactment and says his wife would like to kill me

http://www.arnhem1944.civ.pl/arnhem.htm

Our small group from Britain and the Czech Republic at the Bridge after the march. Everyone got a commemorative cap for taking part.

Dutch Policeman & motorbike with "Orange" armband representing a Police Officer at the liberation. I thought this was a nice impression and something different.

A couple of aged pics. I think we look the part?

Hope you enjoyed the tour.

Cheers, Ade.

Zable
    ?

Thanks for sharing all your pics and stories Ade. Looks as though somehow, that canister was meant to be found near your camp.

Might add that it is truly a great event you take part in. Also a great honour to all those who gave thier lives, for the freedom we know today.

All the best.

z

?

Ade,
    I see in some of the earlier pictures, some of the vehicles crossing over the Nelson Mandela Bridge. ..
    .. I'm still trying to figure out which Parachute Battalion Nelson Mandela was in ....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast