Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The Austrian Army Museum

Article about: Having spent an extended Easter Weekend at Vienna, I just had to visit the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum (HGM) [lit. "Museum of Army History", although "Museum of Military Hist

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    That Saab 29 looks very similar to the Messerschmitt P1101, i wonder if there was any connection?
    Indeed there was: The Saab design team worked with acquired data from the Messerschmitt P.1101, and the Swedish project manager Frid Wanström was even assisted by former Messerschmitt employee Dr. Hermann Behrbohm.

Great info, thanks very much!....

?

Thanks for the photos very interesting...I'm liking the Kubelwagon..So thanks for taking your time to post these. Cheers Terry.

cool, cheers for the tour Andreas!!

?

Many thanks Andreas a most enjoyable tour one could spend a couple days there just wandering the halls the architecture is just fascinating .

Regards Mark

very interesting.thanks for sharing it

The Austrian Army MuseumThanks. Wonderful material. The Arsenal in today's III Berzirk and the Rossauer Kaserne in what is today I Berzirk (and locale for the Austrian MoD and others) were built on the outskirts of Wien after the 1848 revolution in expectation of another uprising in which the army would have to dig itself in against a popular insurgency. Andreas has excellent taste and we thank him for sharing all these things with us. As concerns the fighting vehicles as a remnant of the cold war, the US Army, for its part, was reluctant in the early 1950s to accede to the neutralization of the second republic, and wanted (in contrast to the US State Department) Austria in NATO along with the FRG and Italy. A different policy of neutrality prevailed, however, and when the US Army withdrew in 1955 with the state treaty from the US zones of Austria (Salzburg and part of Upper Austria and such) it left behind its equipment some of which you see in the original Garnitur of the army in the 1950s and 1960s. There were British and French zones, as well. I believe the Soviets did in similar fashion with their equipment. The Austrian Army still uses US aircraft, i.e. C 130s and Blackhawk helicopters. The first cadres of Bundesheer officers also had US Army training, not unlike as had by FRG Bw officers in the middle and late 1950s. The Austrian Army Museum

The Austrian Army MuseumThe Austrian Army MuseumHabsburg history is always interesting, compelling and significant.

I want a panzergarten

The Austrian Army MuseumToday, however, the Bundesheer is grossly under financed, has more or less scrapped its armor, and has been the site of amusing civil military strife with the ex CHOD and ex minister of defense in open conflict over budget cutting in the recent past. Austria has a fine army, with a superb general staff education that is exemplary. And, of course, superb mountain troops, as well as very good food in its
    officers' clubs, too....!!

And the female soldiers are fetching.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast