Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Battle of Crete Holiday 2012

Article about: An excellent thread Ben keep it coming!! Could be a plan for a holiday!! hot for the Missus & guns for me!! Cheers Terry.

Default Re: Battle of Crete Holiday 2012

Next chaps, just me and the wife and me and me old mucker Sean
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle of Crete Holiday 2012   Battle of Crete Holiday 2012  

Ben

Ben, is there a museum related to the battle?

Right chaps next Tavronitis Bridge, this is the location where the battle of Crete was won and lost in my honest opinion. With no Allied troops West of the Tavronitis River German forces rallied enough men to hold off the 22nd New Zealand Battilion counter attack. Without good communications to his companies holding the perimeter at Maleme, Col Andrew VC withdrew from Hill 107. This was the moment that General Kurt Student re-enforced his battered Airborne Forces bringing in fresh troops and ammo and flying out the casualties.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle of Crete Holiday 2012   Battle of Crete Holiday 2012  

Battle of Crete Holiday 2012   Battle of Crete Holiday 2012  

Ben

Last one for today, we finished at the German cemetery on Hill 107. Around 4000 German soldiers Lay there. The Hill 107 cafe was not open today but I will get there and take pictures, it is absolutely full of equipment, helmets weapons etc

Ben

Last ones for today gents, will update as and when get more pics lots to go and see yet

Ben

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Ben, is there a museum related to the battle?
    Nuno, there are several small ones, i have only been here two days, they are on my "to do list" pics will follow later in the week
    Ben

?

Great thread and photos Ben, thanks for posting!

However, an observation. You're letting the side down. A real British holiday maker should be wearing socks!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Im off there on tuesday i think our hotel is near maleme so will be have a wander ot of the hotel and see what i can find
    i plan on visiting the museum on hill 107 one day but am going with the girlfriend and she's not very keen on the idea i had to keep quiet about what happned there till after she booked the holiday she soon realised when i left the books about fj in kreta about haha

Fantastic Ben, thanks for sharing your pics. I would love to visit Crete at some stage, especially Heraklion where I had an uncle wounded and captured during the German invasion.

Hi Ben,
    Are those torpedoes in the picture of Tavronitis Bridge?

Thanks

Burt

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast