Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Berlin : A Few Things To See.

Article about: Just back from a quick visit to Berlin. It was mainly for my wife to visit art galleries and museums, but I thought I'd snatch a few shots of WWII relics. Berlin has now been developed almos

Arrow Berlin : A Few Things To See.

Just back from a quick visit to Berlin. It was mainly for my wife to visit art galleries and museums, but I thought I'd snatch a few shots of WWII relics. Berlin has now been developed almost beyond recognition, and WWII stuff can be quite hard to find.

Anyhow, we enjoyed fantastic weather so I was able to sneak out early in the mornings with my trusty 'Past Finder' guidebook and so here's the result : -

OK, everyone photographs Goering's Air Ministry building but it was nice to get a shot which was relatively free of traffic. It's the best-preserved building in the Government area.

I've been to the historic Anhalter Bahnhof before but now the relic has been 'cleaned up' and consolidated. Still quite impressive : -

The nearby Anhalter Station air-raid shelter is now a museum -

Took a trip down to Tempelhof airfield. A massive place and too big ( and the day was too hot ) to explore fully. Here's the head of the huge Reichsadler which used to stand atop the terminal building : -

A few more to follow.......

Day too hot! Really!!! cheers for the photos as I can't get there any time soon!

Arrow

On with my little tour....the Tempelhof buildings still retain a good number of Reich eagles...

And here's something that's easy to miss - just a stone's throw from the awful tourist trap of Checkpoint Charlie. This is the well-preserved former headquarters of Organisation Todt -

You have to crane your neck to see one of Berlin's most impressive Reichsadlers on the top. The reaction of passers-by wondering what I was photographing was quite amusing.....

I've saved my best 'find' for last. nearly all traces of the Reichs Chancellery have disappeared - except for this. Passed by thousands of U-Bahn travellers every day, on the the walls of Mohrenstrasse Station you can see the original red marble panels removed from the Mosaic Hall entrance. I was very pleased to find these.....

It's worth noting that this was the U-Bahn Station through which the final groups of survivors ( including Mohnke & Martin Bormann ) attempted to escape from the Chancellery.

Of course, wherever you go, despite the best efforts of the renovators, evidence of the 1945 street fighting is still abundant.

Lastly, if you visit Berlin in hot weather, you should look out for one vital battlefield tour accessory -

Zum Wohl !

Thanks for the fine pics. Interesting to see the changes and what is still left over from the war.

Thank you for posting this, great pics & glad you had a great time, love the battlefield accessory hope these are in abundance !
    Regards
    Paul

Fantastic !! Thanks for sharing

On my to do list, thanks.

Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

fantastic...my son has just returned and caught all you show..brilliant that some still exists...I bet our members know of more interesting places to visit !! We are planning a long visit next year so any tips would be most welcome !!

near von Moltke statue...

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast