Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Bulge Pics : Leibstandarte Chateau Command Post.

Article about: First purchase for me at the La Gleize Show last weekend was a copy of 'Duel In The Mist Vol 3' which covers the fighting around Trois Ponts and Wanne - I was actually staying in Wanne so th

?

For those of you who haven't bought Timo's book on Gustav Knittel if you are interested in the Battle of the Bulge it is a must . The execution of the Troops of the 82nd Airborne , civilians around Trois Points , Stavelot , La Vaulx Richard the 11 Black Artillerymen at Wereth are well covered and certainly evidence regarding these atrocities commited by Knittels SS Panzer Aufk Abt 1 is far clearer than that of Malmedy and yet the American obsession with Malmedy has left these incidents in the shadows !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I will have a read of that, is it on Amazon ?

Cheers

?

It's only available from a Dutch publisher
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul D View Post
    It's only available from a Dutch publisher
    Thanks Paul, I have found it via good old Google.

I only drove through Trois Ponts and Stavelot, I do remember driving under a viaduct type of construction, I was really surprised how large these villages/towns have become, I was only really expecting small villages !

Cheers

Thumbs up

I'll second Paul's comments......the actions around Stavelot and Trois Ponts happened over a number of days and were quite confusing ( it's a bit like the fighting around Oosterbeek/Arnhem ). Previous books have confused or overlapping timings ; Timo has taken considerable care to explain what happened, when and where which certainly has helped me to understand more about the events in La Vaulx Richard, Wanne and Petit Spai.

So, just when I thought I'd got it figured out, Timo's book has made me want to go back - again !

I have always been fascinated by the Ardennes offensive and visited the area some years ago whilst serving in Rheindahlen near Dusseldorf. The whole area is alive with the strangest atmosphere such as I have felt nowhere else.

I have read dozens of books on the subject and never seem to satisfy my curiosity especially these days as more and more is being revealed about the events during that dramatic period.

It is true to say that every author seems to tell the tale from a different perspective which confuses the reader and in particular the events surrounding the Malmedy atrocity seem to occupy a disproportionate place in the record.

I am keen to read the account mentioned above and I too managed to find it via a Google search. However, having found it once I struggled to go back to the site for some reason so, for anyone else inclined to read the book here is a link to the website and relevant page;

Boek: GUSTAV KNITTEL - geschreven doorTimo R. Worst

Once I have read it I will be sure to report on it here.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4