Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Captain Nesham, 21st Lancers grave

Article about: The finest grave I have seen so far is in Brookwood Cemetery and is of Captain Cuthbert Spencer Nesham, 21st Empress of India’s Lancers. He was wounded in the charge at Omdurman, but died af

Default Captain Nesham, 21st Lancers grave

The finest grave I have seen so far is in Brookwood Cemetery and is of Captain Cuthbert Spencer Nesham, 21st Empress of India’s Lancers. He was wounded in the charge at Omdurman, but died after falling from his horse in Dublin in 1901. The stone mason has superbly carved his czapka, pair of medals, sabretache all laying on his sword.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Captain Nesham, 21st Lancers grave  

Yes that is a striking memorial to a soldier killed in a hard action.

Brookwood is a favourite of mine too.

I always recall on one visit viewing a row in the Canadian section and drifting away with my thoughts which were permeated by the sounds of machine gun fire from the nearby ranges at Pirbright.
    The sound caused me in my daydream to be overcome with emmotion when I looked again at the graves that were all dated immediately after 19 Aug 42. It was a ghostly experience and Brookwood is a special place.

It is of course a CWGC cemetary and can be located on their websit;

Commonwealth War Graves Commission

but it does contain many more graves than just those of commonwealth servicemen.

There are also some more recent casualities of campaingns in the sandpit
    Captain Nesham, 21st Lancers graveCaptain Nesham, 21st Lancers graveCaptain Nesham, 21st Lancers grave

Regards

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Captain Nesham, 21st Lancers grave   Captain Nesham, 21st Lancers grave  

Captain Nesham, 21st Lancers grave   Captain Nesham, 21st Lancers grave  

Captain Nesham, 21st Lancers grave   Captain Nesham, 21st Lancers grave  

Captain Nesham, 21st Lancers grave  
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Every gravestone tells a story, and that one of Captain Nesham is particularly striking. We can only wonder if the lingering effects of his "severe wounds" contributed to his fall from his horse in Dublin a couple of years later.