MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Christmas eve - candles placed on Allied war graves

Article about: This Christmas eve some friends and me visited the Commonwealth War Graves plot at the Westduin cemetery in The Hague (The Netherlands) and placed a candle on each grave. We did not forget t

Default Christmas eve - candles placed on Allied war graves

This Christmas eve some friends and me visited the Commonwealth War Graves plot at the Westduin cemetery in The Hague (The Netherlands) and placed a candle on each grave. We did not forget these men gave their lives for our freedom and this seemed a small but fitting manner to show our gratitude on this special night. Many other people did the same at Allied war graves all over The Netherlands.

Unfortunately it was quite windy and despite being placed into plastic cups the candles were blown out all the time, but we did manage to make these photo's when the wind subsided for a few minutes. We also placed candles on the graves of 47 executed Dutch resistance fighters that are buried nearby at the same cemetery. The Commonwealth plot contains 87 graves, mostly airmen but also some Navy and Army personnel. 17 of the 87 men buried here are unidentified, but they are not forgotten.

Information on the cemetery and the casualty list: Cemetery Details

Sorry photo's aren't the best quality but the best we could do under the circumstances.

Merry Christmas!

Great idea and action!

Merry Christmas from me too.
    alter musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

Very nice and thoughtful gesture
    Merry Christmas and All the best !

MAP
    ?

Wonderful! A great show of respect
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

What a fantastic tribute, you and your friends are a real credit to society. I for one really appreciate all your efforts! Leon.

That is a fantastic thing to have done, what a great gesture. You are a good person mate, Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Thank you all for your kind replies. All credit should go to a friend of mine though, she took the initiative and organized the candles. Due to the wind we had only one opportunity of a few minutes to make some photo's while all the graves had a lit candle; usually while you were lighting candle #4, candle #1 would already have been blown out again. We will try to get wind-proof holders for next year.

Nicely done Good on you.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Simply put, well done.

Lovely gesture

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast