Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Collins Barracks Museum, Dublin

Article about: Hi All If anyone finds themselves stranded in Dublin with a few hours to spare and happen to be drivng so ruling pubs out (as happend to me yesterday after missing a ferry) then I strongly r

Reg
    ?

Default Collins Barracks Museum, Dublin

Hi All

If anyone finds themselves stranded in Dublin with a few hours to spare and happen to be drivng so ruling pubs out (as happend to me yesterday after missing a ferry) then I strongly recommend spending a few hours at the Soldiers and Chiefs exhibition at Collins barracks in Dublin, firstly because its free!!! and secondly because it is a fascinating, large display of the Irish soldier from 1550 to the present day!

There's some great interactive displays so its great for kids (or big kids) plenty of ww1 and 2 artifacts and some great relics from the 1916 easter rising. Unfortunatley theres a strict no photography ban so I cant post you any pics, sorry!

My fave exhibit was one of the vickers (british made) german style, Irish free state army helmets, chosen to differentiate between the British army and ironicaly replaced by the tommy helmet in 1940 as it looked "too german". (post a pic on here if you have one please)

If thats not your thing the Jamesons distillery tour is close by.

Cheers
    Reg

Rick
    ?

Default Re: Collins Barracks Museum, Dublin

Thanks i will have a look next time i am over, funny you should mention the Vickers helmet, my father in law was showing me a picture of a road block in County Cork Circa 1939 1940 ish which had three irish soldiers with a Vickers tripod mounted machine gun and sporting the Vickers made german helmets.
    I will scan and post a picure next time i am over in cork.

Rick