Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Crete Holiday 2013

Article about: The SS dagger appears to be original...looking through reflected glass but close enough to see some detail......the center ramp has been worked on. Great Thread Ben!! would be nice to see so

Default Crete Holiday 2013

Hi guys, just got back from my holiday in Crete. Had a cracking time and visited a few new places in the meantime, so thought I would do a separate thread from last years as there are a lot of pictures It will take me some time to post all these and find supporting info so please bear with me. Please chime in on any info that may be wrong as I collect belt buckles and nowt else. Also if any German or Greek members want to lend a hand in translating wall plaques that I post then please do so. In all guys watch this space pics in coming over the next few days
    Ben

Default Re: Crete Holiday 2013

First place is going to the Askifou museum. This has been done before but I have taken more pics so if these are repeats then I do apologise. The museum is located on the Askifou plateau. The original owner of it was George A. Hatzidakis he is the one in the picture, the museum is now run by his son and family Andrew G. Hatzidakis, a cracking chap who is very generous with the Raki and a all round nice chap. He is pictured with me in his museum, the two scenic pics are taken from a taverna coming down the hill into Askifou which served a cracking Mousaka and again generous with the Raki

Here is a link to his website

War museum of askifou
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Crete Holiday 2013   Crete Holiday 2013  

Crete Holiday 2013   Crete Holiday 2013  

Ben

?

At least you're acclimatised Ben. You left one scorched, parched, dry landscape and came home to another!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

These guys are the display cases on the inside of the building. The buckles in there are genuine for sure he has two WW2 buckles and a WW1 buckle and belt. If guys can look at the items and comment on originality if needed. What did surprise me was the SS dagger, I never thought the SS went to Crete? So again if that can be scrutinised it would be interesting. I suppose with 4 years of occupation there mights have been SS men transit through?

- - Updated - -

Quote by Adrian View Post
    At least you're acclimatised Ben. You left one scorched, parched, dry landscape and came home to another!
    Adrian, its great to come back to this after Crete
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Crete Holiday 2013   Crete Holiday 2013  

Crete Holiday 2013  
    Ben

These pics are from the inside and are a mixture of allied weapons and equipment (and Italian, Austrian in fact a hoch poch of all sorts!)

Crete Holiday 2013  
    Ben

Same again

Crete Holiday 2013  
    Ben

cheers for taking us on holiday with you Ben would love that brass deathshead knuckle knife a hard to find piece!

Greek partisan weapons
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Crete Holiday 2013  
    Ben

Missed one

Ben

Great pics Ben!! wait until Ade sees the daggers in the scabbard's wrong way around he will be twitching (I am aswell) especially looking at the SS missing its chain ....very nice indeed
    thanks again, cheers Ronnie

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast