Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Crete War Museum

Article about: Hi all!!! I would like to show you all a magnificent war Museum from the Battle of Crete! It is located at an isolted village in mt. Psiloritis. The village's name is Askifou in Chania regio

Default Re: Crete War Museum

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    Only fighting forces were Cretens, British, New Zealanders and Australian.
    ...and Optimus Prime!

I think there was also a sizable component of Greek troops on Crete.
    Last edited by Thanatos; 04-27-2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: fixed my poor grammar.

Of there were Dave, sorry I missed them out mate.

?

On the extreme right of one of the photos is a fire extinguisher does anyone know what it is off ??
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by LizardKing View Post
    Schweppes my post was for you mate! You can actually divide Crete in zones with North Crete having most tourist attractions (Hotels, bars, taverns *not good ones*, clubs etc etc) and South Crete having all Nature attractions (forsaken beaches, canyons, mountains, waterfalls, gold sand beaches, white sand beaches, rocky beaches, huge beaches, tiny beaches within two giant rocks, rivers with palm trees and did i mentioned countless beaches of all kinds?? )... Now for the history lovers Southwest Crete is the best! Especially Chania is full of WW2 memories! There are the most famous villages that Germans wiped out (Kondomari and Kandanos), also the German cemetery, Hill 107 above the Maleme airfield, Allied cemetery, the village of Sfakia, the villages of Platanias and Perivolia (where the FJs landed and fought), Suda bay, the memorial of the dead FJs with the eagle and many many more! Rethimno has a bit of everything! Heraklion is awful and Ag. Nikolaos is of no interest to me because it's great distance from my place!
    Last year we were supposed to Plakias on the south but i had to rearrange my vacation to a later time and then the hotel was full:/ maybe later.
    Greece in general is really interesting, especially the ancient history wich is still possible to see traces from. And ofcourse it is beautiful there and not to forget the Gyros and Mythos!!

Quote by Schweppes View Post
    Last year we were supposed to Plakias on the south but i had to rearrange my vacation to a later time and then the hotel was full:/ maybe later.
    Greece in general is really interesting, especially the ancient history wich is still possible to see traces from. And ofcourse it is beautiful there and not to forget the Gyros and Mythos!!
    Plakias is 500 meters from my village!!!!!!!!!!! When you are at Plakias look for Sellia! This is my village and it's located right above Plakias! Gyros is not my favorite... I prefer the local Cretan dishes! Like 'apaki', 'gamopilafo' and 'antikristo'... Write these down for your next trip!!! Mythos??? I don't like it that much! When i stay in Crete i try to drink only the local beer from Rethymno! It is called "Rethymniaki" and it comes in both dark and blonde! Try it!!! It is fun that from the whole island you went to visit the place that is the nearest to my village!!! Only 500 meters mate!!! Sellia is the little village above Plakias!

Quote by LizardKing View Post
    Plakias is 500 meters from my village!!!!!!!!!!! When you are at Plakias look for Sellia! This is my village and it's located right above Plakias! Gyros is not my favorite... I prefer the local Cretan dishes! Like 'apaki', 'gamopilafo' and 'antikristo'... Write these down for your next trip!!! Mythos??? I don't like it that much! When i stay in Crete i try to drink only the local beer from Rethymno! It is called "Rethymniaki" and it comes in both dark and blonde! Try it!!! It is fun that from the whole island you went to visit the place that is the nearest to my village!!! Only 500 meters mate!!! Sellia is the little village above Plakias!
    Well we didnt actually make it to Plakias unfortunately but we will try another year and will ofcourse go for a sightseeing in Sellia, im sure its beautiful there!
    And thanks for your advice of food and beer (The Antikristo looks especially delicious, i like lamb) i will write it down in my Crete travel guide

Thanks again Lizardking!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6