Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Darrell "Shifty" Powers 506 PIR Easy Company

Article about: I received this forward this evening from Stonemint. I had the great honor to meet Shifty at the 2008 SOS. He was a soft spoken gentleman who seemed almost overwhelmed by the fame that had c

Default Darrell "Shifty" Powers 506 PIR Easy Company

I received this forward this evening from Stonemint. I had the great honor to meet Shifty at the 2008 SOS. He was a soft spoken gentleman who seemed almost overwhelmed by the fame that had come to him and his mates from Easy Company. Listening to him talk to another gentleman, I learned a bit of oral history I never knew. Mr. Powers was relating that after Normandy, the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions were sent back to England at the time and then sent on leave to London at the same time..His words were"It worked OK for the first day. After that, it was a non stop brawl between the units." I treasure the opportunity to meet Mr. Powers, have him autograph my copy of "Band of Brothers," obtain an autographed photograph of him and had the oppportunity to shake his hand and thank him for his individual service and sacrifice. The balance of the information is from the forward.

We're hearing a lot today about big splashy memorial services.

I want a nationwide memorial service for Darrell "Shifty" Powers.

Shifty volunteered for the airborne in WWII and served with Easy Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the 101st Airborne Infantry. If you've seen Band of Brothers on HBO or the History Channel, you know Shifty. His character appears in all 10 episodes, and Shifty himself is interviewed in several of them.

I met Shifty in the Philadelphia airport several years ago. I didn't know who he was at the time. I just saw an elderly gentleman having trouble reading his ticket. I offered to help, assured him that he was at the right gate, and noticed the "Screaming Eagle", the symbol of the 101st Airborne, on his hat.

Making conversation, I asked him if he'd been in the 101st Airborne or if his son was serving. He said quietly that he had been in the 101st. I thanked him for his service, then asked him when he served, and how many jumps he made.

Quietly and humbly, he said "Well, I guess I signed up in 1941 or so, and was in until sometime in 1945 . . . " at which point my heart skipped.

At that point, again, very humbly, he said "I made the 5 training jumps at Toccoa, and then jumped into Normandy . . . . do you know where Normandy is?" At this point my heart stopped.

I told him yes, I know exactly where Normandy was, and I know what D-Day was. At that point he said "I also made a second jump into Holland , into Arnhem ." I was standing with a genuine war hero . . . . and then I realized that it was June, just after the anniversary of D-Day.

I asked Shifty if he was on his way back from France , and he said "Yes. And it's real sad because these days so few of the guys are left, and those that are, lots of them can't make the trip." My heart was in my throat and I didn't know what to say.

I helped Shifty get onto the plane and then realized he was back in Coach, while I was in First Class. I sent the flight attendant back to get him and said that I wanted to switch seats. When Shifty came forward, I got up out of the seat and told him I wanted him to have it, that I'd take his in coach.

He said "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are still some who remember what we did and still care is enough to make an old man very happy." His eyes were filling up as he said it. And mine are brimming up now as I write this.

Shifty died on June 17 after fighting cancer.

There was no parade.

No big event in Staples Center .

No wall to wall back to back 24x7 news coverage.

No weeping fans on television.

And that's not right.

Let's give Shifty his own Memorial Service, online, in our own quiet way. Please forward this email to everyone you know. Especially to the veterans.

Rest in peace, Shifty.

"A nation without heroes is nothing."

- Roberto Clemente
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Darrell "Shifty" Powers 506 PIR Easy Company  
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Default Re: Darrell "Shifty" Powers 506 PIR Easy Company

thanks for that BOB it is indeed a sad day when such heroes are never given the respect & honor they deserve. there are so few of these guys left now that the day will soon come that the stories they have to tell will only be on film & books & to think what these & other guys like them have done for us for our freedom will go largely unhonored when they pass yet when someone like Micheal Jackson dies the whole world seems to come to a grinding halt

anyway thanks again BOB for the timely reminder off what these guys did less we forget.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Darrell "Shifty" Powers 506 PIR Easy Company  

Rick
    ?

Thanks for posting that Bob, it is indeed as Nick has said sad when the likes of self indulging so callled stars recive glory and eternal praise for there efforts and the like of Mr Powers and his like can almost slip away unnoticed.
    I had a lump in my throat reading your post, my belated condolences to his family and brothers.

Rest in peace Shifty you earnt it.

Rick

Thanks for posting this sad news.

I can only agree with the sentiments already expressed.

RIP and thank you for all you did!

Cheers, Ade.

?

RIP Shifty " Airborne Forever "
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

RIP Mr. Powers! It's great that we have all had the opportunity to hear his story. Think of the hundreds of soldiers who quietly passed away - and who's exploits were never told.......sad really.

Rob

?

for all the brave men & women that have served their countries to help protect our freedoms & way of life, for all your bravery & heroism in the face of adversity thank you........
    thank you to you all

hope you guys dont mind but i was sorting out some old paperwork & came across this poem i wrote some time ago but i think its kinda apt hope you guys do to

its called TIME

in TIME our memories will fade
    the places we have been
    the things that we have seen
    the people we have met
    the friends we have made
    the things we have done
    like tears in the rain
    like foot prints in the sand
    all will fade with TIME
    TIME....................................
    we will never have enough time so please make the most of yours.

well there you go hope it wasent to bad lol

Quote by NickD View Post
    for all the brave men & women that have served their countries to help protect our freedoms & way of life, for all your bravery & heroism in the face of adversity thank you........
    thank you to you all

hope you guys dont mind but i was sorting out some old paperwork & came across this poem i wrote some time ago but i think its kinda apt hope you guys do to

its called TIME

in TIME our memories will fade
    the places we have been
    the things that we have seen
    the people we have met
    the friends we have made
    the things we have done
    like tears in the rain
    like foot prints in the sand
    all will fade with TIME
    TIME....................................
    we will never have enough time so please make the most of yours.

well there you go hope it wasent to bad lol
    Nick-
    Very moving words. I have always felt that after we pass, we remain alive as long as our memories are kept in the minds of those who knew us.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

thanks BOB
    that is true but unfortunately not everyone will be, there will be those poor souls that will pass never to be remembered.