Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

David Stirling / SAS memorial, Doune

Article about: On the way home from Glasgow today, went to an antiques place in Doune, near Stirling. I've only ever been this way whilst out on my bike and never noticed the SAS memorial before. So, long

Default David Stirling / SAS memorial, Doune

On the way home from Glasgow today, went to an antiques place in Doune, near Stirling.

I've only ever been this way whilst out on my bike and never noticed the SAS memorial before.

So, long story short, here are two photos. Granted it is not the best however, it was pissing with rain.

?

Great photo great memorial and a top notch bloke by all accounts!!!

Nice picture and what a man ! Killed 9 Germans with his bare hands apparently. His family own the land in the Doune area

Cheers

Yeah, Kier House and estate which is near Doune. Those chaps did a lot of training there in the early days.

Also related to Simon Fraser, 15th Lord Lovat, his cousin I believe.

Funnily enough, while returning from a trip to Dieppe in August 2015, I got talking to a lady at the stern of the ferry while leaving Dieppe

Turned out she was Lord Lovat's granddaughter's best friend and Lord Lovat had been godfather to her son some 40 or so years earlier ! She was totally unaware of the part that Lord Lovat and No4 Commando had played in the Dieppe Raid, she was not aware he had even been there. She was extremely pleased when I told her all about the Commando Raids on Dieppe and pointed out to her the various beaches they had landed on. She then explained that her and her husbands house in East Sussex had been occupied by Canadian Officers prior to the raid on Dieppe in 1942. She then excitedly rushed off to tell her husband who was sleeping in their cabin
    Strange things happen indeed
    Cheers

Yeah it can be such a small world sometimes

Interesting BBC documentary being aired at the moment about David Stirling and the early days of the SAS, not sure who will be able to view it outside of UK however

BBC Two - SAS: Rogue Warriors

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Interesting BBC documentary being aired at the moment about David Stirling and the early days of the SAS, not sure who will be able to view it outside of UK however

BBC Two - SAS: Rogue Warriors
    Have you read the book of the same title? Almost finished and it is very good. As is 'Nazi Hunters' which details the investigation into the massacre at Moussey (this is mentioned in RH too).

Quote by jamie7d7 View Post
    Have you read the book of the same title? Almost finished and it is very good. As is 'Nazi Hunters' which details the investigation into the massacre at Moussey (this is mentioned in RH too).
    Hi Jamie,
    I have 2 books about David Stirling and the originals, both top notch books but unfortunately not read them yet ! I have a stack of books I am going through. I do also have the " Nazi Hunters " book, got it for Christmas last year actually, I was intending to visit the sites of the Massacre last summer but due to work commitments couldn't complete the trip ! maybe this year but it will happen !

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast